Thursday, December 16, 2010

I like these types of weeks, Smashburger review

This is the type where I have Wednesday off from work, allowing for a nice break in the middle of the week. I've been writing a few restaurant reviews on Yelp lately. I'll repost the one I wrote for Smashburger.

We've had a run of new burger joints hit the suburbs lately from Five Guy's to Meatheads to Tom and Eddie's and now Smashburger. I made sure to visit opening weekend and I was looking forward to it.

At 6 pm on Saturday, the place was mobbed. The staff did a very efficient job helping people with their orders and guiding us to the limited number of seats. Credit to them.

I picked the big burger with cheddar and a bunch of veggies (plus jalapenos!) on the classic egg bun. I liked the softness of the bun, it wasn't anything special, so maybe I should have gone with the pretzel ala Kuma's. But it comes down to the meat. And I really wasn't thrilled. It was very flat, obviously cooked on a flat top. I just prefer a thicker burger with the juice coming out of it. This burger was just flat and wide and that allowed the other toppings to take over the taste. Decent flavor, but honestly, it was just that, decent.

Jacquie got the haystack fried onions as a side and we weren't too thrilled with those either. Most of them were just soggy. If you're going to serve onion rings, well, crispness is number one!
The star was the sweet potato smashfries. Thin sweet potatoes are always good for me, but with the rosemary, garlic, and sea salt, they had that little extra pop that made them memorable. I just wish they gave us more!

All in all, I thought it was an ok place, but I think there are better options if you just want a good burger. I will probably return to try one of their chicken sandwiches, and I will be sure to get those sweet potato fries.

No comments: