Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflections

I have gone back through my posts from this year to remind myself of what has happened to me over that period of time. My last full year of my life in my 20's, it has been one to remember.

January
My first thought has to be the Jets playoff run. I was home for the first-round win over Cincinnati and again for that amazing victory over the Chargers. Then, I made the fateful decision to drive to Indianapolis for the AFC title game. I had so much fun at that Jets tailgate and during the first half. Then came the second half and the realization I had lost my keys. Mom drove 4 hours with my other set. Got home around 11:30, I should have been home by 6:30. Also found out the girl who I thought might be the love of my life is doing work for Africa with her husband and has a kid now. FBCG also did Feed My Starving Children following the Haiti earthquake and Court and I had dinner at Blackie's afterwards. Their burgers are gi-normousreally good. And of course, Court wound up on ABC news that night!

February
First time I made dinner at F and F. Pasta with vodka sauce and Costco shredded rotisserie chicken, apple pie for dessert. Found the Lucky Monk restaurant and it's less than two minutes from work. Dealing with aggravation of being lied to and deceived in a long relationship, that took a little time. Last time I ever saw Sarah at Friday night group. And now I never will again. She seemed like a special girl. Spent a weekend in Myrtle Beach with Mom as she scouted for her future bus tours and I got to go back to our old home in Raleigh. Not much has changed there.

March
My first time following Blueshirt Banter radio live. I quickly carved out my group of online friends: Eva, Zach, Newman, Frosty, Robbie, Claude, etc. Saw Donald Miller speak at Willow Creek, he was tremendous. Jose Reyes' thyroid problems. My first taste of Bushmill's came at the Muldoon's tavern on St. Patrick's Day. The bitch came back to CT for one day with her geeky husband, and thankfully, I have not seen her since. Watched Wrestlemania with the ROH guys. Undertaker-Shawn Michaels was just tremendous, the rest of the card I would call decent.

April
Picked up a new boss at work and SBI-Landover to go with my other three schools in Manhattan, Garden City, and White Plains. Had my first pulled pork sandwich at Honky Tonk BBQ and it was tremendous. Drank my first Konig Pilsner too. Watched The Big Bang from Charlotte where Christopher Daniels returned, Davey Richards won an excellent match over Kenny King, and Tyler Black retained the World title over Austin Aries and Roderick Strong. Watched the Rangers keep their season alive in an amazing win at the Garden against Philly, only to no-show and lose in a shootout in Philly the following day, knocking them out of the playoffs. Picked up several Greg Norman shirts at the closing outlet store in Huntley. Went to the ROH show where Cabana and Generico won a sick street fight over Corino and Steen. Was voted the second best ROH match of the whole year! Afterwards, at Rosa's, I sang Friends in Low Places, including the third verse. It was dedicated to the one I never loved! My hopes for the Mets were high, they won 9 of 10 games at home. Ate at Prime in Elgin for the first time and thought it was good, I have not returned since. Felt a very strong call to quit my night job at the Good Friday service at Willow Creek. The following month, I did. Seven years and it's over.

May
At work, I began the long, arduous process of converting FFELP loans to direct. That lasted through the whole summer. Brought this cool bookshelf, it looks like a big black slanted ladder. Nice to have a contemporary looking piece of furniture. Started softball season. 3 FBCG teams of the 24. One with my teammates from last year, one with all my friends, and I'm on the other one. We had a decent run I guess, would have been nice if we had people come more consistently though. Ended the month with my Memorial Day trip to Milwaukee and Madison. Saw the Mets lose twice (Screw you Corey Hart), but enjoyed the lakefront, local pubs, Brady Street, and museums. Visited Nef, Karen, and the family. Had a great breakfast at the Machine Shed (apple cider syrup rocks!) and got back to Geneva in time for church. Brought the group a cinnamon roll too. It was big enough for ten people.

June
Discovered a great recipe for roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Watched the White Sox beat the Cubs at Wrigley Field amongst a very bored atmosphere. Did have pizza at Piece afterwards though! I love that clam/bacon combo so much. Started playing ultimate frisbee soccer on Thursday nights in Geneva, and that went on almost every week into late September. Attended a couple of festivals: Blues on the Fox, Swedish Days, to name a few. The lively R&B music. I still remember that blue dress and the dancing.... Anyway. The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup and I will say I felt good for them. Probably moreso because they beat Philadelphia. I'm proud of myself that I actually wrote that on Facebook because I showed I can feel good for other people when their teams win, albeit in certain situations. Watched the amazing Nexus invasion on RAW and was annoyed when Bryan Danielson got fired later that week for choking out ring announcer Justin Roberts with his pink tie.

July
Naperville Ribfest may have been the best one ever, despite the radical new layout. Los Lonely Boys and Charlie Daniels in concert. Ate my first, and probably last, deep-fried Twinkie. Went to the gym two days later, and I had literally gained five pounds. Two weeks later, I went on the retreat to Michigan at Amy's house. Developed a crush on one of the girls I had never met but of course her boyfriend was there. Went tubing on the lake for the first time and absolutely loved it. Beach volleyball, worship times, setting off Roman candles, Court and Christine getting engaged. Went to ROH's Salvation show, Tyler Black and Kevin Steen had a really good title match. Sang "Afternoon Delight" at Rosa's (the female part). Necro Butcher sang "My Way" and it was phenomenal. Later that month, watched Death Before Dishonor from Toronto online, which featured ROH's best match of the year as Tyler Black retained the title against Davey Richards.

August
Listened to "Whipping Post" by the Allmans for the first time and it quickly became one of my favorite songs. SH got engaged, one more bites the dust. Got a nasty virus on my computer, cost 90 dollars to get it removed. But the guy at McAfee did a great job and it worked flawlessly. Decided to go to Kentucky for an October mission trip and raised all the necessary money inside of a week. Finally gave in and went to the dermatologist and got three prescriptions that I am still on. Saw Dad for the only time this year. Mom and I visited although our first preference was Montreal. Ate one of JG Mellon's amazing cheeseburgers, walked 5th Avenue, shopped in bougie Short Hills, listened to music at Dad's place all night, went to church at the Brooklyn Tabernacle, and brought back 18 bagels.

Early September
Insanity. Dealt with Dad's problems, this was the month everything seemed to deteriorate in his life. Watched two terrible Mets losses in Wrigley Field on Labor Day weekend. After the second disaster, went straight to Ultimate frisbee soccer. There, I found out MR was with one of my best friends. The only good thing was I scored five goals and I'm surprised I did that since I played so aggressively. Went home from that and got as drunk as I ever have. I felt the effects two days later. Was thrilled on Labor Day when Darrelle Revis signed his contract with the Jets.

Late September
The CT retreat to Muskegon, MI. The knitting bumper sticker, Qwelf, my first tennis match in 15 years, mini golf in the rain, indoor volleyball, the prayer tower, Catchphrase, Logan's roadhouse, an amazing church, a little more tennis with Carl. But that weekend, I missed Festival of the Vine, a Kentucky trip meeting, and an ROH I-PPV. Jets smash the Patriots at home and that same night, I went to see Night of Champions with Q and saw Daniel Bryan win the US title and Randy Orton win the WWE title. Sat right behind the ring announcers. I still have the chair I sat in and it's right here in my basement. Little did I know that was the last day I would speak to my father for about seven weeks.

October
Added three more schools and started working on the new PDC team. Thankfully, the Mets were done by the time this month rolled around. The three previous months were torture. Gave my testimony to the boys at at F and F. Made homemade Chinese food to go with it. Discovered Ray Charles "Modern Sounds in C and W" and re-discovered the Mavericks and the Remingtons music as well. The Rangers season began and it was hard not being able to talk to Dad about it. Still is. Correctly predicted the Giants to win the World Series at the start of the playoffs, my NF predictions, not as good. Went to Court and Christine's wedding and had my first date with Jacquie that same night at Urban Grille. We really became close for a while and I think we still are. I knew work was moving to Schaumburg but then I learned I would lose my free gym membership. Did not make me happy. And of course, my mission trip to Kentucky. Six people on the crew, six tremendous days. The day after I got back, I went to Rebel, a bar in Wrigleyville where Jets fans started meeting to watch games. It was so good watching the games in community instead of alone. The hour drive is a challenge though.

November
This was a Jets month. Insane victories over Detroit, Cleveland, Houston and an easy one over Cincinnati. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to think they were the best team in the NFL. Saw Mindy Smith perform live in Evanston. Had a huge sandwich at Kaufman's Deli in Skokie first though. Chatted with a visiting 40-something lady in the very nice pizzeria/bar before the show and enjoyed the concert tremendously. Mom and I had a beautiful Thanksgiving dinner at Weber Grille. And of course, I flew to New Jersey for the Blueshirt Banter viewing party. Ate at Bobby Flay's burger palace. Met so many awesome people at Poitin Still and just had a very fun night. Although sleeping on the hard floor of Newark Airport wasn't exactly pleasurable. And of course, the next morning, I met Nona on the plane to Chicago. And I came so close to missing the flight!

December
A great opening week and most of it was spent downtown. A ton of fun at ComedySportz, the lame movie, dinners, the hotel lounge, singing Last Christmas, the Miracle Mile. And wishing there was more time, but learning to accept it. Tried Smashburger, wasn't too thrilled with it. Got more than a little pissed at the Rangers getting wasted by the Avalanche in November, although I did somehow get invited to to the UC for a Hawks-Avalanche game. Mom and I were fortunate to spend Christmas in Orlando, FL. Watched Final Battle, and it was amazing. Davey Richards just missed winning the title from Roderick and El Generico and Kevin Steen's year-long feud finally climaxed and Generico won the Fight Without Honor, forcing Steen to leave ROH. Started to talking to someone in Boulder and I am amazed how close our connection has become. Nicole came home from Jerualem and we had dinner at Outback.

What I Have Learned
1) It is so tough to travel your own road, one that American culture just doesn't agree with. But I'd rather do it my way than how people around me say I should. I have to know why I live the way I live.
2) Whoever decided we should keep our spiritual beliefs to ourselves does not make sense.
3) Betrayal hurts. Forgiveness can be harder than I ever imagined.
4) Jealousy is still a challenge for me.
5) Message boards can be great for meeting people, the lack of accountability is their downfall.
6) I am happy I discovered the Allman Brothers Band, Miles Davis and Johnny Hartmann jazz, and Lee Roy Parnell.
7) Salsa can be made with jicama and cucumber. It's weird, but it works pretty well.
8) Switching cell phone carriers three times in two months can be a hassle.
9) I have more friends who love me than I knew.
10) God can't be fooled.

No comments: