Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Christmas: Chapter 4-Transition

I got seat 2G in first class and was the first to board the plane. The first thing I noticed was the abundance of leg room. Right across from my extra wide seat was a smaller seat where someone else could sit down or where I could rest my feet. That would have sold me right there. But it got even better.

The seat included a control panel to adjust it. I had a foot rest, a swivel seat, lumbar support, reclining, and the ability to lower the while away into a flat bed. I hung my fleece on the personal coat hook and sat down. Within five minutes, the flight attendants offered me a set of Bose noise canceling headphones, a copy of either the New York Times or the USA Today, and a cup of champagne, orange juice, or water.

I also had a travel kit with blindfold, lotions, glasses cleaner, headphones, earplugs, and tan neoprene socks. I also got a pair of pinstriped American Airlines pajamas. Little did I know then how valuable the socks and pajamas would prove to be in the days ahead. I immediately took my boots and black socks off and put on the provided socks, they felt so comfortable!

My space also came equipped with two tray tables, adjustable mood lighting, a power outlet, and my own personal video screen, with which I could watch a variety of TV shows and movies at my command.
So we took off and they asked my beverage choice and I asked for a glass of Argentine Malbec, a red wine. It was a little to bold for my taste, so after I finished it, I switched to a Pinot Noir.

I had a warm pretzel roll from their bread basket, great way to start. I enjoyed my salad with tiny bottles of olive oil and vinegar. Fire Mt main course, I had a beef tenderloin with tomato chile sauce.  It tasted like braided beef, it was ok, but nothing like a a steak that comes of a grill. It came with a side of Pompano peppers and onions with some steamed broccoli, a really good accompaniment.

And how could I pass on dessert? I got the specialty sundae, which wad an apple crisp sundae with vanillas ice cream, caramel, rice crisps, and candied pecans. Absolutely great.

I tried to watch some movie with Kevin Spacey about a financial firm but I was spent. So a half hour into it,  I lowered my seat into the bed position, covered myself with two blankets and slept six or seven hours.

I woke up with an hour left in the flight. Immediately, they were serving me breakfast. I got orange juice along with fresh fruit and a bad omelet with some white cheese in it and some kind of tomato mushroom sauce on the side. Not to impressed. Within an hour, we landed in Argentina. But I admit I could have used another two hours on the plane just to enjoy it a little more...

No comments: