Sunday, January 06, 2013

Christmas: Chapter 8-Home bound

So we woke up at 6 am and got to the airport by 7:30. Customs took very little time to get through this time around. Going through the security was particularly bizarre. There was almost no line, maybe two people ahead of us. I just had to place the carry on bag and my backpack on the belt and take my phone out of my pocket and place it in a tray.Everything else: my wallet, loose change, chapstick, and handkerchief stayed in my pants. My shoes stayed on my feet. My belt remained buckled around my waist.

Then we checked out the duty-free shop, which mom told me usually offers much better merchandise than the duty-free shops in the States. They had tons of fragrances and a copious amount of cigarettes and alcohol. I was surprised that they were selling Argentine beef roasts there. Granted, they all cost between $60 and $110, so I wasn't about to purchase one. I did buy some Havanna milk chocolate that I gave to Catherine.

We got to sit in first class again, but I only slept about an hour. I just didn't feel tired anymore. We quickly got served lunch, but the service was embarrassing. They kept filling our wine glasses, but never asked us about re-filling our water glasses, even after we woke up from our naps. And between the two of us, they continually gave us wrong items. Mom got a dessert she didn't want. She asked for the Grand Marnier fruit salad, she got a plate of cheeses, crackers, and grapes. For my appetizer, I wound up having ceviche  instead of the cold cuts platter. Also, they gave me the cucumber mint dressing on my salad and told me they had run out of olive oil and vinegar. And there were three main courses listed: a chicken, a beef, and a fish. Well, they explained immediately that fish wasn't available. So I went with the chicken. After we had finished eating, through the curtain, Mom could see one of the attendants eating fish. Unbelievable.

I watched three movies; The Campaign, People Like Us, and The Words. I liked all of them, I think I liked The Words the most though. I admit looking at Olivia Wilde in that movie was a pleasure. An excellent pleasure. The video screen also includes a variety of video games. I played the miniature golf game and I was done after 12 holes. I think I took a 12 on three or four holes!

We landed and got through customs. For whatever reason, they detained me, but not mom. It may have been because I was carrying two bags. It may have been because I said it was my first time visiting Argentina. I don't know. But I walked into this little corridor where it was just me and three staff guys. I remained as courteous as I could, I just wanted to know why I was asked to come over and nobody else was. But it wasn't too bad. I just had to throw my luggage through more security and I was done. All in all, it delayed me by about ten minutes.

And then, after claiming and re-checking our luggage to Chicago, we had to go through security all over again. I can only imagine if I had bought alcohol or some cologne, some kind of liquid. It could very well have been confiscated by TSA! But we got through and grabbed a slice of pizza each, not very good pizza either. I should have just gotten a Naked juice and called it a night. We got bumped off of one flight to Chicago, the only time wet got bumped in five flights flying standby, which is really good around Christmas and New Year's. We finally got the 9:30 plane home and landed around 11:45 Saturday night. We walked through our door around 1 in the morning and Mom went straight to bed. I don't know why or how, but I stayed awake for the next hour unpacking, uploading photos, and preparing laundry. And I'd like to say it felt good to sleep in my own bed again. But as cold as that bedroom was, I can't say I would have minded one more night in Florida or Argentina.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog