Sunday, January 27, 2013

Songs tonight and my problem with the Rangers' #4

1) Goodbye Time-Conway Twitty
2) I Never Go Around Mirrors-Keith Whitley
3) Shadow of a Doubt-Earl Thomas Conley
4) You Didn't Have a Good Time-Randy Travis
5) Mr. Natural-Bee Gees
6) Bed of Roses-Merle Haggard
7) She's Got a Single Thing In Mind-Conway Twitty
8) Play Born to Lose Again-Ronnie Milsap
9) The Wrestler-Bruce Springsteen
10) Ain't No Grave-Johnny Cash

I don't hate Michael Del Zotto. I hate this idea that he's a great offensive defenseman. Because he just isn't. That idea that gets shoved down our throats is just a bunch of propaganda being spewed about by female Ranger fans (and that one guy Vince, so who knows what problem he has) for no other reason than he's supposedly a good looking guy. It just bothers me when people get a free pass like that for that one sole reason.

Frequently when Del Zotto plays, his teammates on the ice are Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, Rick Nash, and Marc Staal. Now Staal is one of the finest defensive defensemen in the game. And for years, this franchise has done a horrible job drafting offensive-minded defensemen. Whatever success Del Zotto has is by nothing other than association. I think it is almost to this point and I can't believe I'm going to write this. If I knew the Rangers were going to win a Stanley Cup this year and Del Zotto was going to score the Cup-winning goal, if it was up to me, I'd actually consider throwing the championship back.

Obviously, I couldn't watch tonight thanks to NHL Network. But the Rangers rally to score four goals in the third period and win 5-2. Yet, I still struggle to enjoy it. It's not supposed to be like this. It's not. Something needs to change.

No comments: