Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Self-centered people

Before I get into some serious business, I do want to write something positive. I’m looking forward to Crosstown wings tomorrow night for the Rangers vs. Blackhawks game and I’m glad I’ll be able to watch the game with a friend. I’m thinking I will have some peanut butter and jelly wings as well as some chile lime dry rubbed wings. I also ran an indoor 5k yesterday in 24:30. I am one month away from the 8k/5 mile run downtown and I’m not sure my endurance is where I want it, but I am pushing myself every time I run. Each time, I get a little faster and a little stronger. But when the outdoor elements come into play, the circumstances can be altered dramatically. I hope I will be able to handle it. OK, onto the business at hand.

There are certain types of people I have seen who are draining to people they come in contact with. They are purely self-centered despite their different moods and attitudes. One group of people that I can’t understand is the attention whores. These are the people who send out 20 tweets a day, the ones who post on FB every single hour, text every couple of hours just to see how you are doing, and are always the first one to respond to a post from their FB friend. It’s just draining. They feel so little about themselves and are so miserable that they need to be noticed by someone to gain that temporary fix of relief. They know with perfect clarity that others can detect it like a K-9 sensing a dead body.  And they don’t care that it is the wrong kind of attention. They can have the best intentions in the world, but they push and push to get closer and the rest of us just want to get away from them.

Another group that demonstrates self-righteous are those who feel they have they can accurately judge a person’s character based over one sentence, over one message, or over one picture. Sometimes, I wonder about writing here. The writer never knows who reads the words or how they are being perceived. But I can feel confident that if they have read a lot of my posts, they can have a reasonable idea of who I am, even if they haven’t met me. When it comes to social media, it’s so much more difficult. One tweet does not define a person’s character. Nor does one meeting. It is far wiser to meet someone, decide if they are worth getting to know, and then keeping an open mind as they get to know each other better. I don’t know how often Mother Theresa got mad, but if I happened to run into her in a moment where she was upset for some reason, does that mean I can assume she is always an angry person?

Oh and there’s another group I want to point out and this one is just pitiful. Those people who just seek a reaction. These are the people whose lives are so boring and so bland and so without any purpose or direction that they live to provoke people, hoping they will trigger some sort of emotional reaction. Specifically, it is reflected in actions like a New York Yankees fan suddenly becoming a Seattle Mariners fan. It is manifested in them repeatedly voting for Felix Hernandez in the Face of MLB twitter contest. And for what reason? Just because he’s going against David Wright of the New York Mets and they have that much hatred for the Mets and their fans. And because these people don’t have anything more worthy to do with their ample amount of free time.

My goal is not to punish them, but to simply live with happiness and contentment in spite of them. Hopefully, they can learn to do the same. 

No comments: