Saturday, November 14, 2015

I love you Maggie

I have posted about my cocker spaniel, Maggie, many times over the last year and a half. I had Maggie 17 months, she was 8 or 9 years old when we got her. Long story short, we rescued her from a hard life in Wisconsin two summers ago. Around here, people knew her for her calm demeanor, her sweetness, and her obsession with people food (yeah, a little like me). Sliced turkey, beef, and chicken seemed to be her favorites. She'd lick the plates after we were done eating before putting them in the dishwasher. I remember her sticking out her paw to me when she wanted my attention or petting. She'd drink so much water, but liked ice in her bowl. She  She was ok with taking a bath, but didn't like walking in the heat. She wasn't always comfortable with car rides, but got used to them. 
In the last two weeks, she rarely ate though. In the last few days, she nearly stopped eating and lost a quarter of her body weight. She also started hiding in dark places. We took her to the vet Wednesday and it didn't seem good. The doc didn't have a clear diagnosis, but said it was probably either an infected uterus or a tumor. We gave her pain meds to help her cope. In the last two days, she began panting excessively. After a late night visit to the vet, they took X-rays and there was a massive tumor around her kidney. There was nothing else to be done. They gave her a sedative and then she was calm, but still shaking. We couldn't bear to watch her hurt anymore. So with a lot of tears, we said goodbye around 12:15 this morning. 
I truly dread the quiet and emptiness that the morning will probably bring. My spirit is hurt, but it is, at the same time, grateful.
Maggie, I love and appreciate you so much. I can never thank you enough for your spirit, companionship, and devotion when I was going through some hard times. I pray God will allow me to see you again someday.



Our time together: June 18, 2014-November 14, 2015.

No comments: