Monday, November 09, 2015

Waiting for the train to leave

So I'm sitting on a train in Ogilvie station in Chicago and it's a Monday night. First week where I'm doing my late night schedule. I'll be working till 7 p.m. on Monday and 8 p.m. on Wednesday. On Tuesday and Thursday, I work until 5:30 and on Friday I work until 5 p.m.

The result is two totally different paces. On the other three days, I find myself rushing from the office a few minutes early just to run fast enough to catch an express train that will get me home about 20 minutes sooner. The train home is totally jammed and it feels incredibly hectic and can be quite stressful.

But on these other two days, everything slows to a grinding halt. It only takes me about 15 minutes to walk from the office to the train. And that leaves me with another 25 minutes of waiting before the train even goes in motion. Toss in over an hour riding on the train and 15 minutes in the car to get home, and it's a very long commute. But I have to say it is kind of peaceful and it's nice that I have a chance to be able to reflect and just relax for a little while.

I can't say this is something I'm really going to enjoy in the long run, especially when the weather turns really, really cold in the next month or two. But this life is kind of enjoyable right now and I think it might work out. At least I hope it will. At this point in my life, I think I've earned the right to be happy at work. I hope God grants me that.

No comments: