Monday, December 28, 2015

Cruising, part 1

So we woke up at 1:30 a.m. and were out of the house at 2:15. I was going off about 3 hours sleep, so suffice to say I was not feeling happy, alert, and alive immediately. We got to the parking facility around 3 and while it wasn't cold, the wind was just oppressively strong.

We got to the terminal just as security was opening up. Thankfully with mom's employee ID, we slipped the entire line. The odds of us making the five am flight to Miami were a little bit against us. Well, not only did we get on, but they upgraded us to first class seats. I know first class isn't what it was, but I like not having to share my arm rest. I sat next to a guy who was going to Quito, Ecuador, he must have been in his sixties. So I talked about my mission trip there about 11 years ago. He was a little slow, but he's a guy who lives to travel and that's pretty cool.

Without much to do in the Miami Airport, we just went straight to the port. I didn't realize that this place would actually be like an airport with the cell phone lot, terminals, and pick up etc. After paging through security and about three check in points, we got on the boat. The first thing we did was purchase a beverage package, since we were basically posted to do so. We went for the one with beer and cheap wine, but no hard liquor. More on that later.

But the Christmas decorations inside really stuck out. There was a reggae band playing Christmas songs. I must say "Joy to the World" sounds a lot different with a steel drum. I saw a really nicely crafted gingerbread house. And they were selling  drinks already, including a few inside pineapples and coconuts. For ten bucks, I passed. We went up to the eleventh deck and had a great buffet lunch. I had carved roast beef with horseradish, mashed potatoes, salad, poppyseed roll, and even a little paella. Really good food.

After walking around the ship and unpacking our bags, I took some time to chill outside by the pool and take pictures of downtown Miami. Actually, let me say a little more about the room. Our room was so ridiculously small, it seriously felt like our bathroom is smaller than it would be in an airplane. And there are two outlets total, one on top of another. The good thing is that it's on the seventh floor, which is where the Boleros bar, conference rooms, and the balcony of the main entertainment venue are as well. Also, we have a public deck to walk on; only two decks out of 12 have that. And being right in the middle of the ship, it doesn't vibrate like it would if if you're on the bottom. Plus, we also have a window even if we don't have balcony to you drink with us.

We left the port around 4:15 and the view leaving Miami was marvelous. I went down the pool side where some folks were dancing to the classic dance pop tracks. I joined in for one or two.

The gym is a mixed bag. They have about 8 treadmills and about 15 exercise bikes, but no ellipticals. Plus, one or two of the weight lifting machines are out of order right now.

For drinks, I've had a beer and a couple of virgin coladas. The cool thing though is my package allows me to drink a couple of different types of red wine. Time for dinner.

No comments: