Monday, December 28, 2015

Cruising, part 3

So I woke up around 7:15 on Christmas morning. We went to breakfast, had some granola, some eggs, and some inedible turkey sausage. Not incredible, it was inedible.

While we were eating, we docked in Nassau, in the Bahamas. We went to a Sunday morning non denominational service with Father Dennis. There were only eight people there total, including mom and I. Strangely there were maybe 300 people at midnight mass. We sang "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Silent Night." I requested the latter. It was very simple, but very nice and intimate. Certainly different than the 7,000 people at Willow Creek!

We got off the ship and started walking around a little bit. It's a very tightly crammed area and this island is all about tourism. All they're trained to do is sell you stuff and make money, because I guess that's how they keep surviving. A lot of people got off to go to Atlantis, which is a pretty famous water park. But the excursion from the boat to Atlantis cost $189 per person which seemed absolutely ridiculous.

We checked out a couple of tourist shops and a beach or two and I don't think it's a place I'd want to stay in the future. I did buy a beaded necklace in the Straw market. It was mostly white with trimmings of orange and royal blue. It just made me laugh, because it will go perfectly with my Mets stuff.

Apparently, there was a big parade going in that day because they had bleachers set up down the main streets. We went back to the ship and hung out by the pool for a couple of hours, getting lunch during that time. After tanning a while, I jumped into the water, and as I came up it was maybe the saltiest water I've ever tasted. Even saltier than the Atlantic Ocean! Safe to say, I did not go back under water.

I checked out the Compass deli, with no plans of eating. Little did I ever expect them to be carving roast beef for sandwiches. So yes, I had one, though I think the dark brown gravy they put on and I did not ask for hurt my stomach. So then I headed to the balcony and fell asleep. Then it was off to the gym for thirty minutes on the treadmill. I have no idea how far I ran because the treadmills track in kilometers, and not miles. I lifted a few weights and called it a workout. The water fountain barely got any water out, which was really frustrating. Why they can't install a jug, I have no idea. So sweating profusely, I power walked to the bar and began guzzling tap water. I probably went through six or seven glasses.

One thing I'm realizing is that as much as I'm trying to forget about the clock and about time, its very hard for me to just let go of thinking about the time. I tend to be pretty organized, and it's just difficult for me to get out of that Monday. I just like to plan stuff and I like to plan what events I am going to, even when I'm on a cruise.

No comments: