Thursday, October 27, 2005

That's a White Sox winner/WA/Wellington

Well there are 100,000 legitimately happy White Sox fans right now. And there are 10 million more people around Chicago who are really Cub fans but are acting like they've always been White Sox fans. How do I feel? I really don't know. I'm almost emotionless over this, if that's a word. I'm not surprised they won. They were built to win it. And I know that come April every whippersnapper Cub fan will be like "First the Red Sox, then the White Sox, now it's our turn!" Please. I have often said if there was ever an all-Chicago World Series, I would root for the White Sox. So I guess it all could've turned out worse. But Timo Perez is on a World Series team? Mr. Jog from first base to home plate in the 2000 World Series?" At least he did almost nothing in the playoffs!

How bout that Maroon Platoon?! Wheaton Academy volleyball going for a regional championship tonight against Montini and guys soccer is in the state tournament on Friday. Go Warriors!

And a quick tribute to Wellington Mara. The late great New York football Giants owner and patriarch (not a bad word huh?) passed away at age 89. I best remember him after the Giants had wasted the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC title game in 2001 by a score of 41-0. I was sitting on the carpet in my living room in Winfield, IL on a cold snowy day. After the game was over, Terry Bradshaw interviewed Mara and he said simply, "Keep in mind this was the Giants team that people said was the worst team ever to win homefield in the National Football Conference playoffs. And today on this field of painted mud, we've proved that we're the worst team ever to win the National Football Conference championship. And I'm proud to say in two weeks, we're going to try to become the worst team ever to win the Super Bowl!"

I had that game on video tape. I went away to college. I came back in May. My mother had thrown the tape away. I called the social service people. "Take my mother away!"

RIP WM. Go Big Blue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can put it on the board YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!