Friday, July 14, 2006

My favorite matchup

...in all of sports happens in 20 hours from now when the Ney York Mets travel to Wrigley Field to play the Chicago Cubs. I have been living out in Chicago since June 1997. I have had a lot of joy and sorrow with these matches. Let me shuffle through my memory banks and see what I can remember.

1998: Didn't go to any games though both teams were really good. The Mets had Mike Piazza for a full season and had an excellent chance to take the wild card. With only 5 games left in that season, the Mets could not win a single game against both the Montreal Expos at home and the Atlanta Braves on the road, the Mets could have forced a 3-way wild card tie by winning their last game. Meanwhile the Cubs and Giants finished tied for the wild card. Steve Trachsel (who starts for the Mets today) pitched the Cubs in by beating the Giants in a one-game playoff. They immediately lost three straight to the Braves, scoring a total of one run in 27 innings.

1999: A horrible year. Yes the Mets made the playoffs and had a chance to go to the World Series. But the day I'll never forget is July 31, my 18th birthday. I'll tell the story again. Mom, Unger, and I scored tickets on the deep third base side. I had to watch Met pitcher Octavio Dotel give up 9 runs in 2 innings! Cub starter Jon Lieber was almost as bad allowing 9 runs in 4 innings. But our super reliever Jason Isringhausen gave up 5 more runs over three innings. Gary Gaetti, who I think was around 50 years old, hit a grand slam, Jose Hernandez had 5 RBI.

When the score became 7-0 Cubs, I was so mad I slammed my soda down in front of me. It went all over the people in front of me. From what I heard it ruined some woman's dress. I high-tailed out of there. So then by the top of the 5th, the Mets tied the score at 9-9 thanks to 2 Robin Ventura homers. And I'm thinking, oh man. If we win this, I will feel so guilty. That was taken care of as Chicago scored six times over the fifth and sixth innings. I didn't go back to my seat until it was time to go.

Mom ripped into me and I deserved it. When we stopped for dinner, I had to stay inside. I was mad at myself but madder that we got tickets for such a lousy game!

2000-2002: During these years, I started going to college and moved to North Carolina. I didn't get to a game but I always watched the WGN Games when I could.

2003: The Mets were so bad by September 16, it was just painful. The Cubs won this game I attended, but it was never close. Mark Prior struck out 13 in 8 2/3 innings en route to his eighth win in nine starts and Sammy Sosa drove in three runs as the Cubs edged the Mets, 3-2. Sosa's 2-run shot off Jae Seo put the game away. But the worst part was the 5th when Danny Garcia was on third with two outs and Piazza was up. He struck out on 3 pitches. Here's the Mets lineup from that night.

Roger Cedeno (Total bust)
Danny Garcia (I liked him in Norfolk)
Timo Perez (Batting third!!!)
Mike Piazza (Started to slow down by this point)
Jason Phillips (Slowest runner since Rosie O'Donnell)
Ty Wigginton (Good player)
Jorge Velandia (Career minor leaguer)
Jeff Duncan (Ditto)

And our bench? Raul Gonzalez, Tony Clark, Matt Watson, and Mike Glavine! Eesh!

The Cubs made the playoffs that year as the Central champs, and we all know what happened in the playoffs! It's been 98 years. Keep counting!

2004: Now the memories turn around. Having the Wild Card lead by a game and a half on September 24, the Cubs proceeded to drop 7 of their last 9 games. But the one that started the ball rolling was September 25 against the Mets. Prior was excellent again for the Cubs and they lead 3-0 going to the 9th. And who comes in to close the game. The biggest stiff of a closer since Mel Rojas. LaTroy Hawkins. Eric Valent and Jason Phillips walked and Jeff Keppinger flied out. But then rookie Victor Diaz hit a game tying, three-run homer to tie the score. And he was a Cubs fan growing up! And then Craig Brazell hit his first home run in the 11th on a 1-2 pitch from Kent Mercker to win it. Chicago's five-game winning streak was done.

I had to work that afternoon so my boss told me about it, and I thought he was kidding. The next day I was in Lake Geneva and I convinced Mom to leave the radio on in the car so I could hear the game. I can still show you exactly where on the highway I was when Braden Looper recorded the final out for the win.

And of course the Cubs traded Sammy Sosa in the off-season, after he had left the final game early and then attempted to lie about it publicly. The disappointing season also led to the departure of broadcasters Chip Caray (who blows) and Steve Stone, who became increasingly critical of management toward season's end.

2005: The Cubs never got going last year and the Mets hung in there. We dropped 2 in Wrigley but won 3 straight in Shea. I was at the one game we won. I went with my friend Nef, and it was delayed twice by rain.

The Mets scored three times in the first against recent call-up Jon Leicester. Carlos Beltran started the two-out rally with an infield single and Cliff Floyd followed with a single before Piazza hit his sixth homer of the season. After a 20-minute delay in the bottom of the first, Kaz Matsui hit a solo homer in the top of the second. Play was halted again after he ran the bases, this time for 1:14. Nef took off to go home.

The Cubs scored 4 times in the 6th, thanks to a three-run homer by Michael Barrett off Dae-Sung Koo. But Doug Mientkiewicz made things right again with a 7th inning solo homer off Hawkins, who else! Piazza and Minky had RBI singles in the 8th, Looper struck out Derrek Lee to end it and that was all. I had to stay somewhat quiet. But in the car ride home, I put on Billy Joel's New York State of Mind and blasted it as loud as I could!

2006, more memories to add. Let's go!

No comments: