Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My reaction to RVD and Sabu getting busted

I really don't know how to write about this except to shoot.

Two WWE/ECW wrestlers, Rob Van Dam and Sabu, were pulled over in Hanging Rock, Ohio at about 10:15 p.m. on Sunday. The two were driving from their performances at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena earlier in the evening.

According to the OSHP, they were initially stopped for speeding. Troopers found RVD in possession of 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin prescription pain pills. Brunk was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and also had nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances, according to the OSHP. Both were cited and posted bond at the scene. However, sources at the courthouse say the date has been changed, but has yet to be determined.

Ironically, I was actually watching a 1996 RVD-Sabu match the morning I found out. Now you know Van Dam is one of my favorite wrestlers. I've met him twice. Sabu was the one who brought the idea of moonsaulting wrestlers through tables to the US. He was doing this is in 1993 and 94 when WWE was highlighting characters who were hockey players, garbage men, clowns, and mythological bulls.

I knew Van Dam was pro-marijuana and he used it previously. Evidently, Sabu used on occasion. I was always worried this could happen. But as the whole 4:20 ECW gimmick faded, I kind of forgot about it. Now he becomes WWE champion and three weeks later, gets busted. Not surprisingly, he lost the title the next night after he got caught. I should have seen it coming.

If I could speak to Van Dam right now, what would I say? I would tell him he really let me down. I'm hurt and a little bit numb, but I'm not really shocked. But I would say to him it doesn't matter how acrobatic you are, doesn't matter how flexible you are, it doesn't matter if you can do a split across two benches and deadlift 160 pounds. You can't do an exercise to make your brain cells grow back. Personal life is personal life, but I think people have a right to know if a guy they pay money to see is using. And when they are illegal substances, it is criminal action. Painkillers I can totally understand. Being on the road that much and taking as much physical abuse as they do, it's no wonder wrestlers do what they can to get by.

And these are not young guys! Van Dam is 35 and Sabu is 41. I hope for their sake they will use this as a learning experience. Sabu will probably be gone from ECW soon and Van Dam will be taken off TV for a little while and they deserve it. But with these two guys in this situation, this could be a huge issue for the re-birth of the new ECW. These two guys were pushed hard as the cornerstones along with Kurt Angle. This could devastate the chance for success of this group.

Bottom line: It's a bad day for wrestling fans.

No comments: