Monday, July 17, 2006

Riding it out

This has been a bizarre weekend. Hardly an hour went by without something happening. I got a call from a woman while I was at work on Friday morning. She was from one of those staffing companies, the people who supposedly try to hook you up with jobs. She asked if I would drive to Oak Brook and fill out some paperwork and I said sure. We got to talking for a while and it turns out she is the sister-in-law of one of the women I work with at Houghton Mifflin! Oh and she's my age too... Unfortunately, she's tall and I know good and well that tall women don't go out with men much shorter than them.

I took a few computer tests, including one on Excel, which I knew very little about. What made it hard was all the tolbars were inactivated. So if I wanted to do something as simple as center some text, I didn't know any other way than the toolbar. So that got a little frustrating.

Then I met with a couple of people at this company. The office manager is a few months older than me and if I must be honest, a little ditzy. She runs marathons and all but this knocked me out. I mentioned I was from New Jersey. And she starts talking about a talk she had with her husband who is into geography evidently. She spent 10 minutes trying to convince him New Jersey was not a state, it was a borough in New York. I just dropped my head to the table. So I don't know if anything worthwhile will come out of it, but we'll see.

After 2 1/2 hours, I got back into my car just in time for the eighth inning of the game and the Mets wound up winning 6-3. Good night all around.

I got going on Saturday bright and early. I drove to Bartlett to play disc golf. I ran into this guy who was playing the course while his dog trailed after him. That dog actually listened and behaved! Anyway, the guy gave me some tips on my release point and my wrist and I got better as the round progressed. As for my score, well, I stopped keeping track around the 6th hole. I can't count that high.

Then I drove to Wheaton Academy to lift some weights. When I got to the gym, some people were playing volleyball. I asked if I could get in. But this new guy, Burger, our new football coach from Cleveland, didn't want to let me in. He said alumni were only allowed in Monday through Thursday. But he agreed to let me in. Anyway, this gym has no A/C and it was probably 95 degrees outside. After one set of bench presses, my T-shirt felt like I just dipped it in water and threw it on. I was sweating that hard.

So after an hour or so, I remembered there was a BBQ for our housing development at 12 p.m. I got into my car around 12:05 so I headed home. I didn't shower, I just washed up and went over. I went through 2 brats, a burger, some really good pasta salad, watermelon, and a Sam Adams, which I will never drink again. I guess I ate a little too fast. When I got home, I nearly threw up.

After that morning, I decided to just chill the rest of the day. So I did some reading outside, watched a few minutes of the Mets 9-2 loss, and watched my new Ring of Honor DVD, Final Showdown. Excellent matches including Roderick Strong vs. Alex Shelley and the steel cage with Bryan Danielson and Homicide. Danielson won with the absolute longest airplane spin I've ever seen. An airplane spin is where you lift the guy on and across your shoulders and behind your head so he's facing down. It's like a fireman's carry. Then you spin around really fast and drop him on his back. Now most spins go maybe 4 or 5 times around. Danielson went a good 80 or 90. Never has a crowd cheered an airplane spin as loud as they did.

No comments: