Tuesday, November 07, 2006

CMA's-Country Music and Female vocalist rant

I haven't written about country music in a while, but I feel it's fading about as fast as WWE. At least the mainstream is. Last night, the CMA Awards took place and I dreaded something that I expected to happen, but I hoped it wouldn't. It did. Carrie Underwood not only won the Horizon Award, which was bad enough, but Female Vocalist!

I knew it would happen, but I wanted to have the same shocked reaction Faith Hill had. This is a girl coming off American Idol, has paid no dues (kind of like Tom Brady), gets handed two or three magical songs, and runs with them. First of all, I could name at least five singers from that season who were better: Anwar, Lindsey, Vonzell, Bo, and Nadia. And so many other singers are struggling to even get noticed and Underwood just stands in, looks cute, and sings hand-picked songs. That's not art in any way, shape, or form. Once this little love fest ends in a few years, and she has to actually work on her own for success, then we'll see what she's really made of.

I'm just tired of country too often being this sunny happy thing with Underwood, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, and people like that. I know that's what's selling records and that's what radio will likely continue to play. I just hope there will remain a place for the more honest, hard country too like Toby Keith and maybe a Gretchen Wilson.

No comments: