Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A few important manners and some not-so-important manners

OK, I'm taking a quick break for processing financial aid to write about a few things. I'm starting with something that really unnerves me. No it's no the Giants laying an egg against the Bears.

1) Elton John wants to ban religion because he says religious people are not compassionate towards gays and other minority groups. He didn't specify what religions he just said religion. There are a lot of things I could say here. I will go this way. I believe in an all-powerful God and I believe in right and wrong. I do believe homosexuality is wrong but I realize that a lot of religious people (and non-religious people can be included as well) have been unfairly rough on gays, and I admit I'm not exactly comfortable around gays. The message may be right, but the delivery of the message is usually in anger and hostility or maybe in timidity and fear. So I can see where he is coming from. But I have two questions for Sir Reg Dwight (John's real name).

One, who has the authority to ban all religion? How does that decision happen? And can man keep something down that is bigger then him?

And second of all, and more importantly, what do you put your hope in? What will happen to you when you die? I've certainly heard you use God's name in frustration and anger enough times in interviews. Do you believe in God? If you do, what will your story be? I applaud your work with AIDS groups but don't go stereotyping like that. Because by putting all religion down, you put all religious people down. And that's the majority of the world. So Reg, for your sake, stick with your music and get off your delusional pulpit.

2) The Jets beat the Patriots! In New England! Yes! Now let's take Chicago down!

3) Why are the Mets bringing back Jose Valentin? And for 4 million dollars. He's 37, he'll break down just like he did last year. As a bench player, fine, but Omar still needs to get a second baseman. Mark DeRosa, Adam Kennedy, and Mark Loretta all sound okay to me.

4) Looks like 2 years, 6 million dollars for El Duque. Two years might be a bit much to some people, but it's a player's free agent market. If teams want free agents, they will have to pay a lot of money. And 3 million per is not bad. And he wants to pitch in the big spots and can deliver the goods in the spotlight of October.

5) The biggest priority signings for the Mets should be getting Barry Zito, keeping Chad Bradford, finding a good bat for the bench, and a good left fielder who can hit sixth or seventh.

6) I got an e-mail from careerbuilder.com. You can really tell how in touch they are with the job market. The subject title of the e-mail was "Relax and let us find your new job for you." I'm sorry, am I wearing an "I'm a moron" t-shirt? What kind of job do you have in mind, cleaning out the juice machines at IHOP? By the way, you know what the funniest thing in the world is? Seeing a one-legged waiter at IHOP.

7) Two weeks to go in volleyball and we're second of four in the league. I missed the games from two Sundays ago, where we played the undefeated team. Amazingly we took a game from them without me and going in, I think they had a record of 24-0. So this week we took 2 of 3 without Kevin, who is one of our best players. If we can get all 6 of our players on the court against that team, and save our energy, I think we can beat them.

8)Thanksgiving is approaching too quickly. It's times like this I wish I lived closer to my family.

9) High school football in Kane County will be huge this weekend. Playing in the state semifinals are Geneva and Batavia, two neighboring towns with a long rivalry. Both schools are 12-1. Batavia won the head-to-head match 24-6 on the last week of the season to create a 3-way tie for first place in the WSC with Kaneland. But this game will be at Geneva. I wish I could be there just to experience that type of atmosphere. I never went to a school with football, basketball was really the big game. And Kaneland is also 12-1 with a game against Marian Catholic to go to state. This will be an exciting weekend for Tri-Cities football.

10) I always try to make 10 points in these posts. But I don't have anything else to say.

No comments: