Monday, January 15, 2007

I wish I was diffferent.

I really wish I was not this sick, wacked out, twisted, anal sports fan that I am. Because I really think my life would be a lot less aggravating otherwise.

Bears win in OT, Pats beat the Chargers. I'm not surprised, but I am disgusted.

I'm not in the mood to deal with the Bears, Seattle is not that good. I will say, go Saints! But I have a lot to say about Sunday afternoon's joke of a game.

If Asante Samuel was playing for the Jets in that game, he would have been called three times for pass interference. The last one actually turned the game around because SD would have had a first down at midfield with a little over three minutes left. Instead they had to punt. I have never seen a team get more breaks and big calls from the officials in my life since the Chicago Bulls of the 1990's.

This was the best team in football this year, San Diego. And I knew the game was over on the first Patriot drive. 3rd and 10 on their own 20 I think. Mr. Overrated throws a pass, it gets tipped three times, and the ball flied up in the air and it starts to drop. One of the Charger players is right underneath, all alone, ready to catch the ball on the NE 30, putting the Chargers in scoring range. Instead it slips out of his hands and New England gets to punt. You could have shut your TV off right there. Then I'm driving to Ecclesia, San Diego is driving, Michael Turner runs for a first down on a 4th and 1. Next play, Rivers throws a pass to Antonio Gates (the best TE in football), catches it, and gets stripped on the line, and New England recovers it. I know it was called back as an incomplete pass, but the feel was obvious. I knew midway through the second quarter, San Diego would lose.

And you can bet your soul, New England and Chicago are making the Super Bowl. I would bet everything I own on that happening. In a season where the Jets stepped up, everything could be ruined by watch my two least favorite sports cities play for a Super Bowl. In the context of football, it could not be any worse.

The same damn brick hits me in the head every year in one sport or another. Whether it's the Rangers missing the playoffs 8 years in a row, the Devils winning 3 Stanley Cups, the Knicks never winnning the title they should have and being reduced to a joke, the Braves' run of division titles, the Mets choking against St. Louis, the Giants embarrassing themselves, the Jets blowing playoff opportunities, it's always the same. It never changes.

So if I could come back in another life, which I don't think is something that happens, but who knows, if I could come back and live over again, I would do a few things different. I want to be a man of the arts. I'd want to be a guy that goes to the theater. I want to go to the Met, not root for the Mets, but go to the Met. I want Picasso, not Pennington. I want William Shakespeare, not Willie Randolph. I want Liszt, not Lundqvist.

So I pray to God, relieve this agony. I have enough aggravation in my life already. Why am I the insane, intense, crazy, battered NY sports fan that I am? Oh the pain....

No comments: