Thursday, January 18, 2007

What does this say about me? & Bam Bam

On Wednesday, I wrote about the price of gasoline and how hybrid and electric cars are probably going to become more and more commonplace. I immediately went over to the Honda website and checked out their Civic Hybrid and started building my own with the various colors and options just to see what it would look like and how much it would cost. Just 24,000 dollars! I guess that's not too bad for a new one. Hopefully I won't be in the market to purchase a car for a little while.

I'd like to take some space to remember Scott "Bam Bam Bigelow", one of the best wrestlers of the last 20 years. You may remember him for wrestling football legend Lawrence Taylor at WrestleMania 11 in Hartford back in 1995. Bam Bam was between 350 and 420 pounds but he was so agile. He was doing backflips off the ropes before they became commonplace. He was from New Jersey, like me. I remember seeing him for the first time on TV. I was 6 years old and got a little scared because I had no idea what was wrong with his head. And with the fire, he looked like a beast. I guess that's why his moniker was "The Beast From the East." And did I mention that classic head? Yes, those are flame tattoos.

But after he retired a few years ago, his life got really rough. A rough divorce, missing child support payments, a failed attempt at owning a restaurant, credit problems, escaping to Florida, and just last year, a brutal motorcycle crash that nearly killed him and his girlfriend. But on the other hand, in the summer of 2000, he saved two children by getting them out of a burning house. I guess it was in the ring where he did best.
So thanks for the memories, Scott. In the ring, you did well. You were truly ahead of your time. Hopefully you will get the praise and respect you should have had more of. RIP.

No comments: