Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Solitude is over

I had the house to myself for the last 12 days. Mom took Hogan and they drove to Florida.
I've been alone for days at a time on numerous occasions, but two solid weeks was unprecedented. It was amazing how quiet everything suddenly became. I didn't hear Hogan's excited panting ringing in my ear, which has been standard since I was 11 years old and enduring elementary school. Didn't have to make coffee for mom in the morning, the evening news was never on (thankfully), did a lot of laundry, had to cook everything myself, which I don't mind all that much. I really did work most of the time anyway, so it's not like I was lazy. Then again, when I wasn't working, I mostly watched Get Smart and Ring of Honor DVD's, and played video games.


Got a holiday party tomorrow night for the Daily Herald at Gino's East. I hope they spring for some deep dish pizzas this year. Unlike with the thicker crust pizzas, literally every Chicago thin crust pizza really tastes the same. Little dinky square pieces with the toppings buried underneath the cheese. You pick up a piece, take a bite, and you have no idea what it is. It's like a bad surprise party. If I had to pick my Gino's East pizza, it would be the supreme (peppers, mushrooms, onions, and I'd choose the sausage over pepperoni) and, as an extra kick, add garlic. Of course, I'd have to make sure I wouldn't be near any other human beings for the rest of that week...

Rangers-Islanders tonight. That would be hockey. Big game.

Speaking of which, I have a grammar question here. The New Jersey Devils are getting a new arena in downtown Newark soon. Prudential is going to get the naming rights and the building will be called the Prudential Center. CEO Arthur Ryan said he doesn't mind if the arena is referred to as "The Rock," after the company's symbol of the Rock of Gibraltar. Here's his quote.

"We're going to put 'Prudential Center' up there. I suspect someone before long will be calling it 'The Rock,' and that's fine with us," he said after a news conference Monday. "That's been our icon for over 100 years and we're not uncomfortable with that."

Why does he have to say "not uncomfortable"? Doesn't it seem odd that he uses the word uncomfortable in this situation? Especially considering he works in insurance! It makes me feel... well, not comfortable. Hey Arthur, I took speech in college. How about saying "We're fine with that."

No comments: