Saturday, September 08, 2007

17 and dropping

There's the magic number to clinch the NL East.

Let's see, I have been sick for 36 hours. Total medication consumed: 4 Benadryl, 3 Cold-eeze, 1 Zicam, 6 Vitamin C tablets, 3 glasses of orange juice.

To put my Friday in perspective, I worked a half day at CEC and then threw in the towel. I grabbed some soup at Panera, went home, and jumped into bed. And despite taking some pills, I could not get to sleep. Three hours of tossing and turning. And my Friday night group was supposed to resume and I wanted to go. But I knew there was no way I was going. So I could hang around the house and get some rest and save my energy for Saturday right? Not so much. It's high school football night. I worked from 9:30-midnight. And this is not the right weekend for me to be sick. Not like there is a good weekend to get sick, but between the the White Sox-Twins today and my "marathon" tomorrow of softball, volleyball, and Ecclesia, I'll need all the endurance I can get.

Even though I shouldn't really be amused by this, I kind of am. Apparently microwave popcorn can be harmful. The chemical diacetyl, which is used to make artificial butter flavoring, has been linked to a respiratory disease called "popcorn lung" in hundreds of people. Apparently some of these people need lung transplants. Now it's it not eating it that is necessarily bad, it's inhaling the fumes from the popcorn that does the damage. Amazing, isn't it? Fifteen years ago, the craze was how dangerous movie popcorn was with the coconut oil. Now we can't even get away with smelling popcorn, one of the best smells known to mankind?

Song pick: "A Tender Lie" Restless Heart

No comments: