Monday, June 30, 2008

4-1, but too close

Well, we beat Derek's team, but it was way too close for comfort until we batted in the bottom of the 6th. The wind was blowing in, and rain was threatening to come in, but it never did. We trailed 3-0 after the top of the first thanks to a couple of ground ball hits and a line drive over Bob's head in left field. I was on the bench for the first two innings, so I couldn't do anything.

Before the game, Dan told me it was my redemption day. He explained I was back to leading off. Nobody has been too productive leading off all season, and we've tried five different guys. I opened with a walk and Joe walked behind me, but I never got past third. Dan settled down on the mound and blanked them over the next four innings. Meanwhile, we made it 3-2, Scott had two hits and was very aggressive running the bases, which we needed to get us going. In the third, I batted with Marty on second (not much speed) and one out. Their defense was poor and I knew their weakest fielder was in right field, so I aimed to hit to the opposite field. I lined a 2-2 pitch towards the second baseman, and he jumped and took a certain RBI double away. He then doubled off Marty and the third inning was over. That was a rough one. I walked again later though I didn't score, but we eventually took a 4-3 lead.

Then they tied the game at 4-4 in the sixth with single to right field. Once again, I did not get a chance to make a catch all game. With two down, and runners on first and second, they grounded the ball to short. Paul flipped the ball to Todd, who trapped it against his chest, but he clearly possessed it. And standing right behind the bag, I could tell the ball beat the runner. But the umpire said it was a trap so no out was recorded, thus preserving the inning. We went crazy, but what were we going to do to make him change his mind? Luckily, the next guy flied to left and Billy made a fine running catch to get us out.

I lead off the bottom of the sixth and I knew I had to get on base. After taking a ball, I lined a shot over the shortstop for a single. Joe singled to right and when their fourth outfielder didn't pick the ball clean, I sped for third base. The throw was off, and I slid in safe. I bruised my right hip too. Billy walked. I scored on Paul's sac fly and Joe scored on Roger's sac fly. It was 6-4. Then, we got runners on first and second. We grounded the ball to third. Steve, an old teammate, fielded the ball, decided not to step on third, looked to second, and then threw to first, but threw low. The ball skipped past the first baseman's glove and out of play, bringing home two more runs. That's when I knew we were good. By the end of the inning, we stretched it to 10-4.

They scored once, but we took it 10-5. So we are 4-1, and I reached base 4 of 4 times. As for defense, well, Tim grounded a ball to me in short center. I had it in my fingertips and tried to throw him out of first, but he beat it. Thing is I had the ball in my fingertips, so I didn't want to throw it away.

And the Bartolo Brigade made its presence felt again. Many thanks.

No comments: