Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fire and Smoque

We'll start with this. I'm getting back into disc golf, and I guess a year away from it was a good move. I threw +8 at Sunrise Park, which is one of my best scores ever.

Feels good to sleep until 9 a.m. Hit the gym around 12 p.m. I learned why some people are talented at sales and marketing, particularly the ones in Waukegan. That was some line I was given two weeks ago and I'm embarrassed I actually believed it.

Then it was 90 East down to Pulaski for my visit to Smoque BBQ. This place is amazing. I first heard about it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and they really pushed the brisket, so I figured I would give it a shot. After squeezing into a parking space, I was thinking might be illegal, I walked inside. I should have realized how small this place would be, seeing that it's a little independent company. I walked into a room that may have had room about 50 people to sit down. Most of the tables were full, but there was almost no line. So I walked up to the counter, ordered a sliced brisket sandwich, cornbread, baked beans, and sweet tea.

The tea was fresh and exactly how iced tea should taste. The beans were the best I've had, bar none. They had shredded pork, bacon, onions, and no BBQ sauce. I've never felt BBQ sauce belonged in baked beans. The cornbread was fine, and made for a great replacement for the cole slaw. And the sandwich. The meat tasted of smoke, seasoning, and filled with moisture. The sauce had a little vinegar taste to it, so it wasn't overly sweet. And on the soft, spongy roll, it was an amazing combination. And the whole thing cost about 11 bucks. By the time I was done eating, there was barely a place to move. The line was out the door, at least 20-25 people. I complimented the co-owner, Barry, and he decided to buy me a peach cobbler. I felt a little guilty, but it's only 2 bucks and who am I to ever turn down peach cobbler? It had a good crumb topping and I liked the addition of toasted almonds on top.

Smoque gets huge props and I strongly recommend this place to any serious BBQ fans. Then came the ride down to Chicago Ridge...

No comments: