Monday, June 16, 2008

Not pretty, but good enough.

We are now 2-1 after a 4-1 win over our old rivals, Rommel. The weather was comfortable, but the wind was blowing straight in all day which made scoring runs really difficult. In fact, I only had two at-bats all day. We scored three in the top of the first and they stranded two in the bottom half, even though we missed two grounders that inning. So we were a little lucky. I singled in the second and grounded out later. But my whole idea was to hit the ball on the ground because any fly ball that was hit just hung in the air.

My big play came in the fourth inning. I was playing short center field and I lined up a few steps right behind second base. Some guy grounds one hard up the middle right in my direction. I grabbed it and fired the ball straight to first base. I knew it was straight, but I thought it could go a little high. And I know the first baseman wasn't expecting a throw, because as the ball was about halfway to him, his eyes bulged out like he couldn't believe I was throwing. And I threw the runner out. Supposedly, he was just jogging to first and didn't really bust it out of the box. That would be a no-no. I made three other catches in short center, but that was the highlight. I would say there must have been at least four or five 1-2-3 innings between both teams. The game was probably done in about 50 minutes.

I'm not a huge blues fan, but there is something about live blues in the summertime that is really cool. I hit the Blues on the Fox festival in downtown Aurora on Saturday and Marcia Ball and Kenny Wayne Shepherd were excellent. Shepherd, in particular, reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan, with the low, growling guitar. And on that Galena Street bridge, there was barely any room to move. It wasn't bad when I got there around 6:15. By 8:30, when Shephers strolled on stage, there must have been 10,000 people. And big props to the guys who made the 10" chargrilled Italian sausage sandwich. Delicious! And not a bad deal for a $3 bottle of Miller Lite.

Back to work.



Let's see. Alone for a week. No microwave for a week and no light in the basment for who knows how long.

No comments: