Wednesday, July 30, 2008

21 hours straight

A number of people have hinted to me they know once food is introduced into a conversation, they dread it. They know I will get on a roll about where I've been and what my opinion is. Well kids, roll your eyes because I will be getting on a roll several times in this post. Just like olive oil or butter.

After another rousing CT party, I was in bed at 12 am and awake three hours later. I packed and took a 6:50 flight. Nice to have a whole row to myself. I was tempted to stretch out over the whole row, but I could never quite get comfortable. After landing, Dad and I went to the jewelry store so he could get a new battery for his watch. When the dealer told him, it would take 20 minutes, Dad got that "Are you kidding me?" look and I knew this was going to get ugly. The dealer acted surprised at his disappointment and explained he wanted to be thorough and that kind of thing.

We drove to Bertucci's for lunch. Now why did this company pull out of the Midwest, I'll never know. The chicken margherita pizza was as good as ever with the crispy crust, rustic tomato sauce, and fresh mozzarella. I added some roasted peppers for an extra kick. I could have used fresh basil, but... And the rolls are still hot and crispy.

After a stop by the house, it was off to Metropark to catch the train. By the way, driving past the Woodbridge Mall, they opened a Bonefish Grill. To get there you have drive off Route 1 and onto Gill Lane. Coincidence? I think not. Big news here. The Metropark platform is being re-constructed again! It amazes me how much congestion is at this train station. It's like a suburban Grand Central.

After an hour ride to Penn Station (where we stopped in Houlihan's for an Amstel Light/Diet Coke that cost us 12 dollars) and a 20 minute ride on the LIRR, the legendary dump known as Shea Stadium appeared to my left. The walk on the platform from the station to the stadiums was a little sad. But Citifield stood to the right of Shea, a sign of great things to come (of they could only add 10,000 more seats...). We sat in the mezzanine (green level), second row, one section toward the third base side. Great seats as long as the peole right in front of you weigh less than 250 pounds. Not the case. We instead had a family from South America. Nice people for sure. But this one 50 year old guy with long shaggy hair was in front of me and he kept leaning back basically in my lap. He did it so much, I could have given him a perm. My advice for him would be shave the whole thing.

In the third inning, I mentioned I hadn't seen the Mets hit a homer live in 10 years. As Carlos Delgado stepped in to the batter's box, I said "Watch, this is going off the scoreboard." Two pitches later, it was outta here! Off the right field scoreboard! So then I said, I should try saying before Sunday's game that I'd never seen the Mets pitch a no-hitter... So the game went 14 innings, but we left after 9 because we had to catch the train back to New Jersey. I saw the Mets hit four homers. But that wasn't the best part. (Roll your eyes!) Mama's of Corona. A huge semolina roll, peppered ham, Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella, with a side of roasted peppers and mushrooms. For $9.75 (basically the price of two hot dogs), I would say this is the best ballpark food I have had, second only to the Boog Powell's BBQ sandwiches. When Citifield opens next year, Mama's had better be there too.

But with the game in the 12th inning, I ran back to Houlihan's, to check out the game. There must have been 30 of us watching the game in the bar. With two outs, the Mets loaded the bases before Tatis grounded out to the pitcher. We hopped on the train and they wound up losing. We wound up getting an 11:45 train and got home at 1 am. So time wise, not counting a few cat naps, I stayed awake for 21 hours.

And I must say, women in New York have got style. They really know how to dress.

No comments: