Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let's play two!

I woke up at 8:30, and had no room for breakfast after Mama's filled me up. After winning 6 straight painted Yahtzee games, we headed to Metuchen, right next to my old church. I am amazed Bob Beringer has just retired again! Good to see he is doing well.

We got to Shea Stadium around 11:45 and I brought a Jose Reyes laser jersey. I happen to think it's looks excellent. And they're not being made anymore, so I was lucky to get one. Once on the park, I brought a program and ate a footlong Hebrew National dog, the hot dog that answers to a higher authority. Good job with the warm roll. I wolfed it down just before Johan Santana's opening pitch so I could keep score. It's hard to eat a foot long hot dog and write simultaneously.

Santana threw a complete game even after the rain started falling in the seventh as the Mets won 9-1. And the catch Carlos Beltran made was one of the best I have ever seen. And the best part of the day happened during the fifth inning. From behind and to my left, I started hearing a roar. I dimissed it at first, but I kept hearing it, so I turned my head. I saw a guy with a big yellow sign and the back was facing me so I couldn't tell what it said. Then I looked next to the guy and saw someone wearing a tight red dress. Looking at the hair, I could tell this was not a woman. Then I heard the chant. "Yankees Suck! Yankees Suck!" So my guess is this guy was a Yankee fan who lost a bet and the deal was he had to wear a dress to a Mets game and walk around the whole stadium. Take that Wrigley Field purists! And no, I did not take a picture. By the way, the promotion that day was Kids' Day. I'm glad I was not a parent having to explain that to my son or daughter.

Then it was to the Macaroni Grill. Why Mom soured on this place, I don't know. I guess she told me that it wasn't like Little Italy. No kidding. What place is? Anyway, I'm doing all I cna to help Dad with his diet. After some meddling, I convinced him to get rigatoni with oil and garlic, tomatoes, artichokes, and broccoli. As upset he was to order it, he was that more thrilled when he ate it. So we get in the car and drive home. We hear on WFAN the Braves trailed Philly 12-10, allowing 12 straight runs at one point. He ranted for 3 solid minutes like I have never heard him rant. And Tara timed it perfectly, calling not even ten seconds after he finished.

And what better way to wrap up a great day than watching an hour of Urkel?

Wegman's may be the best grocery store in the world. Kudos for the bagel sticks, peach muffins, grilled shrimp, and Italian scallops. We then ate with Brian and Danielle at Harold's. Now I never saw Brian in the hospital, but I am amazed how good he looks considering his condition. He ate a huge plate of French Toast, Danielle ate a less than stellar veggie burger, while Dad and I split a corned beef and pastrami sandwich. The mustard in particular was excellent. And the pickle bar with the sliced rye bread! Awesome stuff. As we left, Brian brought two containers of mustard and gave one to Dad. I snapped a photo of them posing with the mustards. Yeah, it's a good photo. I slept most of the afternoon before making dinner (steaks, shrimp, scallops, sweet potato fries, and grilled asparagus). After winning 2 more painted Yahtzee matches (8 for 9 for the weekend) and watrching the Braves get killed in the first inning, the Mets blow a late lead, and Mike Adamle somehow get announced as the new GM of Raw, the night was over.

The changes I wish I could make, but I know I shouldn't.

No comments: