Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday marathon and one day to go...

the last 48 hours have been an utter whirlwhind.

First of all, after that horrific loss on Wednesday, I didn't know if the Mets had anything left. But they did come back, beating the Cubs on Thursday in an amazing show of resilience. Even though we made Micah Hoffpauir look like the second coming of Ted Williams. And I did not see the comeback happening, not only that, I did not see it. I was just too anxious and I know I wasn't the only one. I actually tuned in around the seventh, just in time to see Hoffpauir blast a three-run homer to put the Mets in a 6-3 hole. I turned it off for a few more innings. When Carlos Delgado grounded into a double play in the eighth, I figured it was over. 10 minuutes later, I found out it was tied! Pedro Martinez pitched with guile and toughness. He did everything he could. And after his traditionally terrible first inning, he settled in very well. Ramon Martinez, where did you come from??? Ryan Church's game-tying slide around the catcher in that eighth inning was one of the highlights of the season. He has not done well over the last month, but he had a huge game, going 3-for-3. But I did see Beltran's game winning smash off Hoffpauir's outstretched glove. It was a relief, but it felt temporary. It would be temporary, but we'll come back to that.

But the next morning was Friday, and I woke up at 3 a.m., 3 hours earlier than I normally would had I been working. I took off at 4 am and arrived at the Foundry in Aurora 45 minutes later. About 200 people were standing on line outside. And I watched the Mike and Mike radio show. It was an amazing experience. I chatted with a lot of people, including a guy who played for the Philadelphia Phantoms AHL hockey team, a guy who had been fired from that very restaurant one day before, and even a few Jet fans! Of course, with Greenie there, I sported my Chad jersey. He was impressed. And I commend Greenberg and Golic for their hospitality. They signed a picture for me, shook my hand, and Greenie even autographed my Jet jersey. It was awesome! I will, however, never drink an O-Bomb at 8:30 a.m. I drove home around 9 and planned to grab a nap.

I got home around 10 and of course mom wanted to go out. So next thing I know, after helping her won the computer for an hour, we're shopping for the next three hours. We did sneak lunch in at CPK as I returned for the first time in three years. Melissa, Chris, and Lindy are still there. The avocado club egg rolls are excellent. So we got back in at 3 p.m. I had to leave for Glen Ellyn at 5:15 p.m. I snuck into bed at 3:30, did not set my alarm, but somehow woke up at 5:05. Went to group, came home at 8:00. Found out about the Mets' total non-effort as the Marlins wasted them, dropping them out of the playoffs. And we did the usual work load from 8 pm-1 am. That was 22 hours that I was awake. I do not recommend this as a habit.

I will never eat corned beef hash again. If Egg Harbor can't make it taste good, there's probably very little chance I could ever like it.

Got home at 2 p.m. and the Mets were seventh inning of a game they would win 2-0. Johan Santana is amazing. On three days rest, he throws a three-hit, complete game shutout. He has absolutely delivered as an ace, right now, he probably is the best pitcher in baseball. Although we have now officially lost the division (Great double play to end kill the rally, Zimmerman), the Cubs beat the Brewers, so we are tied for the wild card going into tomorrow. We have Oliver Perez pitching against Scott Olsen and the Brewers have CC Sabathia going against something like 46 marginal Cubs pitchers. I think the immortal Angel Guzman will be making an appearance. I don't know what will happen tomorrow, I'm not overly confident the Mets will wi the wild card tomorrow wihtout a Monday playoff, but Ollie can't pitch any worse than Tom Glavine did last year in this spot. Can he?

And I will definitely have to skip the Jets game at Rookie's. This is big.

No comments: