Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dead and buried

That would apply to Shea Stadium. And the Mets.

The exhiliration I felt when Beltran homered into the left field bleachers off Scott Olsen to tie the game at 2-2 was amazing. Endy Chavez' seventh-inning catch in left field was also amazing. If he ever makes another ridiculous catch in a big game again, I will promptly turn the TV off because I know what the end result will be. Eighth inning. Wes Helms and Dan Uggla homer back-to-back off Scott Schoeneweis and Luis Ayala, putting the Mets behind 4-2. Three minutes later, Ryan Braun absolutely drills a two-run homer off the immortal Bob Howry (who David Wright can't touch to save his life), breaking a 1-1 tie. Ninth inning, tying run on, Derrek Lee bounces into a double play, Sabathia gets the complete game and the Brewers get the win. Just as that happens, the Mets get two on against Kevin Gregg after the first two were retired. Up comes Carlos Delgado. Mr. Clutch. Now Arthur Rhodes, whose acquisition at the deadline made no news whatsoever, comes into pitch. Delgado lines the second pitch deep to left and it dies in front of the warning track right inside Josh Willingham's glove. Then I saw Luis Ayala was coming in to pitch a second inning. I knew that was it.

So now what? I am too pissed off to even think about who should be back and who shouldn't. I am especially aggravated that Shea Stadium's end comes in a situation like this. But I would like to acknowledge the Cubs for spitting the bit this weekend. And the Mets bullpen for doing the same for the whole year. As far as the playoffs go, I will watch very very little. I will now root for anyone in the AL and the Dodgers. Any sympathy I had toward Milwaukee has evaporated. I can wish them no, absolutely no, future success. But I will be fair. Good luck to them as they try to replace Sabathia and Sheets.
Great win by the Jets. Favre was great, throwing six touchdowns. Yet, it feels completely meaningless.

No comments: