Saturday, November 07, 2009

End of the trail

All week long, I kept thinking how ordinary this week seemed after the previous week included Halloween and traveling east. If it was ordinary, then why I do feel extra tired?

1) Great to stop by the McElwee house for the first time in maybe two years. Dinner and Bible study. I almost forgot the little things about that place. Conversations about obscure movies and 80's pop culture where I either have to be completely quiet or nod my head repeatedly like I actually know what they're all talking about. And Chris continually engaging us with deep questions about the Scripture and really explaining how the message applies to us in this world. I miss that. that's something I'd like to bring to Come Thirsty and every Bible study I participate in. And I saw two of their kids. I find myself the same things I used to hate to hear. They're getting big. I just wish I could have petted Cubbie and Scott. But the way they were chewing on their marrow bones, they seemed quite content.

2) I'm really excited for Come Thirsty Fall Festival tomorrow. Matt keeps hyping my Qwelf debut. I just hope I can live up to the hype.

3) Next two Chi-town restaurants to try: Honky Tonk BBQ and Tufano's.

4) I drank two Dos Equis beers tonight. Does that mean I had Cuatro Equis?

5) I'm trying to limit sports in here. I'll just say this. Jimmy Rollins is a jackass. And I'd take him on the Mets today.

6) I am on a huge Marty Robbins trip right now, especially his live music. Pedal steel guitar, horns, Mexican acoustic guitars. Outstanding. It's shame he died about a year after I was born.

7) Isiah 33:17: The perfect verse at the perfect time. And the person who gave it to me has no idea why.

8) God bless whoever at Rosebud came up with the all-you-can-eat spaghetti and meatballs for $9.99 on Monday. Except those bowls are made with a pound of pasta. Maybe it should be God bless anyone who can eat two of those bowls. Sadly, after a chopped salad and half a bowl, I had no room left for dessert. And Mom was smart enough to ask for the check as quickly as she could.

9) I really wonder why I got excited about music award shows when I was a kid. They are so full of B.S. But none moreso than the Grammys.

10) OK, one more sports point. Still debating whether to get a Blackhawks-Devils ticket for New Year's Eve. If I do, I will definitely wear my Rangers jersey. Maybe I'll teach Chicago a little chant that goes like this... "Maaaaaaaaaar-teeeeeeeeeeeee!!!"

Song picks:
1. "Maybe You Should Know" Kenny Rogers
2. "Mr. Shorty" Marty Robbins

No comments: