Saturday, November 07, 2009

NYC recap-November arrives

Every time I have visited Dad, he always woke up before me. That was not the case this morning. I was up by 6:30 and could not get back to sleep. I realized that the window was slightly cracked, bringing the 30 degree chill into my room all night long. And I was just sleeping with one sheet, since he only has one blanket in the house. I decided not to make too big a deal of it, but at least I was able to get a flannel sheet for the following night.

We headed for the Metuchen train station. The weather was around 60 degrees with a fair breeze. All in all, quite comfortable for fall in NYC. We got to the Stage Door deli about 10 minutes before Brian arrived. And with the marathon going on, the Verrazano Bridge was closed. So he had to drive into New Jersey from Staten Island and then drive through the Holland Tunnel. He looks pretty good. I guess his next big treatment is in about six weeks.

I hate to say it, but our waitress was terrible. Once I got my sandwich, it took another five minutes to get mustard and pickles. This is a freaking deli! Those items are as essential to the table as salt and pepper. The heavyweight (corned beef, pastrami, turkey, Swiss cheese) was very good, though I probably could have eaten more. Then we headed into Border's, right outside the Garden. Brian bought Susan the latest Rod Stewart record. I looked at the price of one CD, remembered how much Border's charges for everything, and left.

Then into the Garden, the World's Most Famous Arena. I sat between Dad and Brian. First, Brian has a remarkable level of hatred with Wade Redden. And considering the 6-year, $39 million contract, I can't blame him. And I now find it ironic that Dad tells me I should be more positive with my teams. He must have ripped 15 players on the team. And that was just during warmups! Anyway, the Rangers won 1-0. The returning Marian Gaborik scored the game's only goal in the second period. And I was getting text updates for the NFL. The Jets still suck. Same old Jets.

And Dayna must be a prophet. The last Scripture she sent me before I left was Isiah 33:17:
"Your eyes will see the king in his beauty and view a land that stretches afar." Well, I didn't make it to church on Sunday. But I shared this verse with Dad and Brian and it came to fruition. The King, Henrik Lundqvist, recorded the shutout in goal, and was named the #1 star of the game. So I saw him in his glory. I just wonder what is the land that stretches afar. I hope that refers to the promise land of a Stanley Cup.

On the train ride home, we had a 45-minute delay.Apparently Barack Obama was in Newark to lend support Jon Corzine in his bid to remain the governor of New Jersey. Great job again Barack, he lost to Chris Christie. Dinner was at Outback. Great lamb and bloomin' onion.

No comments: