Sunday, November 08, 2009

Extra bullet points-live ammunition

With some extra time on my hands, here are a few things I've had on my mind.

1) Wheaton Academy closed last week for two days due to swine flu. That's a scary thought. St. Charles East, which is a mile from my house, had to close too.

2) If you're going to wear a cowboy hat in heavy wind, wear a neck strap so the wind does not blow the hat into the next zip code.

3) I won a $5.00 gift card to Target for my bartending role for the Halloween contest at work. Dollar rack, I will be on the lookout.

4) I have five books on my night stand right now that I'm in the process of reading. I don't know if I can bear to finish Marley and Me.

5) These Cubs fans are fondling themselves because they now have an owner who sympathizes with their pain. And now a lot of them are confident they will in a World Series with new ownership. Spare me. The Cubs are the lovable losers. People have sympathy for that franchise. I, on the other hand, root for teams that absolutely blow and I ain't getting any sympathy around here.

6) By the way, would they trade Derrek Lee for Luis Castillo? They can have Murphy or Ollie P too. I'll throw them in. Maybe we can work something out.

7) Billy Graham said our checkbook is like a holy register. It shows what is most important to us. In my case, I guess that means it's gasoline and maintenance bills.

8) Now I'm going to lament. I knew I got my hopes up too much. I screwed up any chance I may have had. And on a note from tonight, the pressure on me to put on a legendary performance in Quelf was too much. No wonder I withdrew. And that screwed everything up. Then again, there may not have been anything to screw up. It may not have existed in the first place. God help me, I couldn't even eat.

9) It's time like this I want to retreat in my work. And that's when I seem to enjoy what I'm doing in the office the most. It acts as a buffer, a distraction, a misdirection for what's really bothering me.

10) Oh, and the Rangers suck too. 1-2 on this road trip.

Song pick: "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You" Hank Williams

No comments: