Saturday, November 07, 2009

NYC recap-Halloween

I'm taking the Mindy Smith approach to this blog. I don't write for weeks, then I come back and bang out three entries in 18 hours. Onto the action.

Saturday, Oct 31: Woke up in Chicago at 3:45 am. This is the second time in three days I woke up st 4 am or earlier. As I write, I'm in bed/pull-out couch in Edison. The clock on the wall says 10:45 p.m. But we gain an hour tonight, I don't know if the clocks were adjusted, I have been up for at least 19 hours, I don't know what time it is!

The monorail from the parking lot Terminal 2 at O'Hare was like a theme park ride. Five minutes stopped at Terminal 5, a bumpy trip, and a lot of sudden starts and stops. I actually asked out loud "Is the driver drunk, what the hell?"

The airport was empty and I had no trouble getting on. 28 rows in the plane. Firt class was maybe 3/4 full. Coach was a different case. There were no more than 20 people. I had a whole row to myself, which was pretty good. Surprisingly, not too many customer service reps on board. Inside joke. And we were delayed 45 minutes thanks to a fuel leakage. But the flight got in 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

As I was walking past security in Newark, former ECW wrestler Balls Mahoney was there. I'm pretty sure it was him. But I think it's not wise to go up to a guy who's 6'3, 300 pounds, has more tattoos one arm than teeth in his mouth, and say "Hey Balls!"

We went to the Sprint store. In Illinois, we have one in every town. In NJ, it's one per county. So I signed the waiting list like I was waiting for the doctor. All I needed was a new belt clip for my case. I somehow found myself in a conversation with a black lady about politics. She was talking about property taxes, job issues, housing, and other major issues in New Jersey. We were two days from the governor election, so I guess it was big on a lot of people's minds. The kicker was when I said "At least Blagojevich is not your governor." Her face lit up and she smiled for one of the few times. "Oh, I love Blago! He's funny!" It was at that point, I realized we don't want our politicians to be corrupt. But if they are, we can accept it more if they entertain us in the process.

Cheesecake Factory for lunch. Appetizers: southern fried chicken sliders, and crispy artichoke hearts with lemon-garlic aioli. Dad had a beef stir-fry and I had some great jambalaya. Excellent stuff. We went home and played Phase 10 and Sequence with the Flyers and woeful Hurricanes playing in the background. For Dad's pride's sake, I will not divulge the results of those games. Dinner that night was Kona Grill, which I didn't really enjoy as much as I did when I went to the one in Lombard. Had some decent tuna. We left around 5:30 and it was already dark. For me, it felt like 10 p.m.

We came home and watched Toronto-Montreal. The Canadiens were wearing these horizontal-striped uniforms that should have some with their own airsick bags. Brutal. The game was close, at least. Also watched a little Knicks-Sixers which turned into a double OT loss. And the crows is so dead. Who can blame them?

Now I'm chilling with the lights off, shuffling my Ipod between Mindy, Dan Seals, and Randy Travis gospel music. Time to sleep.

No comments: