Sunday, March 06, 2011

After a sad morning, thank you Rangers

I am not one to discuss dating on here, because it usually would get me in trouble. But since the guilty and I have no mutual friends, I'll make an exception.

I met this girl on E-harmony. We went through all the silly communication stages and we started e-mailing for about a week. We had two phone conversations, probably totalling three hours. We laughed a lot, seemed to have a lot of similar interests. We agreed to meet for the first time on Saturday at Tom and Eddie's for lunch.


I was really excited all morning. I just had a very good feeling about how we had been connecting, plus it didn't hurt that I thought she was cute. This is all I need to say about our time together. It was 1:45 when she arrived. I looked at my watch and it's suddenly 5:15. Those 3.5 hours absolutely blazed by. So we walked outside and the snow was falling. We shared a big hug goodbye and went our separate ways. I believe I was courteous and respectful. We seemed to have a great time. I drove away feeling pretty good.

Then this morning, she left for softball spring training in Arizona. So I texted her right before church began, saying have a safe flight, thanks for yesterday, all the nice stuff I figured a considerate guy would do.


After church got out one hour later, a text alert popped up on my Blackberry. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to be a Dear John text.

I could barely speak. And I didn't speak for nearly all of Come Thirsty. I may have fought back a tear or two. I know I only knew her for one week, but I really felt there was something there. I have had that gut feeling maybe two other times in my life.

I passed on the Fermi Lab tour and went straight home. I just needed to be alone, was not feeling very social. On the counter, I found the 75 cents in change from Tom and Eddie's. Here's what I have learned about this whole single life thing. The freedom feels great. The isolation stings.

So I arrived home, tried in vain to unclog the shower, and turned on the Rangers-Flyers game from the Garden. Ryan Callahan scores the first of his seven goals inside the first minute and the rout was on. They beat Philly to every loose puck, they hit, they passed, they skated. It was just a tremendous performance and that MSG crowd ate it up! A 7-0 whitewashing of the top-seeded Flyers on home ice. It took five games, but the Rangers finally beat Philly in the 2010-11 season. And memo to the Rangers brass, the NHL, or whoever it has to be: I want the white jerseys worn at home for the rest of the season!

No comments: