Friday, March 04, 2011

Behind the back

Billy Crystal's character in "When Harry Met Sally" was absolutely right. I realize more and more how men and women cannot be friends. The sex factor, whether it happens or not, is indeed always going to get in the way. I figured that one out today.

Even if the sex doesn't come into play, all it takes is one person finding a relationship. Just like that, the friendship dies. Specifically, if it's the woman who finds someone. She finds a guy and all of a sudden, she can't have a conversation with any other guy in her spare time. Even a conversation with a guy at work becomes awkward. It's like the guy has surveillance on her 24/7. If it's the guy who gets into the relationship, we don't give a shit. We'll keep talking with every girl we know, hell, we might even try to do it more often just to appease our own egos.

I was always the setup guy for marriage. There are at least four, possibly five, women who I went out with at least once and they married the next guy they dated. Now, in a span of two days, two women who I hung out with on a semi-regular basis suddenly find themselves in relationships! What that means for me, I have no idea. It is somewhat amusing.

But whatever. There is a shot. I really hope tomorrow works. For all my bravado and whatever confidence I feel like I have discovered in the last couple of months, I am a bit nervous. I hope she likes me.