Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Pushing myself

As of tonight, I have ten days to go until the Shamrock shuffle. So I'm about 70 percent done with the training period. But more than that, I'm almost done with the intense section. It started last weekend and continued into Tuesday night. I ran 5.75 miles in 44 minutes. 19 of those minutes were actually what I would call a hard jog, my warm up and cool down.

The jog pace was around 7.2 mph and I could definitely maintain that pace for five miles. But for the tempo run, I went between 8.2 and 8.8 mph. I did that for maybe 3.5 miles. I think that pace will be pretty brutal to keep the entire time. What I think I can do is give one all out sprint for the last 3/4 mile. I remember three years ago the appearance of the finish line caught me off guard. This time, I will know the course. I will know when to push hard.

There was one concern I had afterwards. I was pretty caught off guard when I removed my right shoe and black ankle sock and saw blood on the nail of my third toe. I didn't feel any pain at any point during the run. And I don't feel any discomfort 24 hours later. But I'll be making sure that toe is clean and won't cause issues on April 2.

On Thursday, I have one final interval run. I'm supposed to just do two 4 minute sprints. But because I had to cut last week's short from five intervals to two, I may add one or two extra intervals tomorrow night.

No comments: