Sunday, March 05, 2017

The weekend comes... find fades all too fast

So this weekend, I ran two straight days. Even if my race speed and endurance aren't where I want them, I'm building up my resilience in quick order.

On Saturday, I completed 4 miles in 32 minutes. That gave me a good deal of confidence. I really want to finish the race in under 40 minutes and that pace would have me right on track.

Then earlier this morning, I went a little slower. I knocked out three miles in 34 minutes. I was still running over seven mph, but it wasn't overly strenuous.

The key is after each of these runs, I had practically no discomfort in my quads, knees, or ankles. The only issue was after the Saturday run, I felt a hot spot on the instep of my right foot. I had to take one of those shower stones to my foot to make sure it didn't blister.

This week, my focus is going to be getting to where I can run 8.0 mph for a decent length of time. Now what do I mean? I did several intervals last week at 8.0 where I made it for four minutes. But at the end of each of those intervals, I felt like I needed to slow down to a jog. So if I can get up to seven or eight minutes of running at that race pace by Saturday, I would consider that a good accomplishment.

No comments: