Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Another night... Met execs

WEll, let's see. I only go into work at the newspaper around twice a week since it's playoff season for all the high school sports (whichever ones don't have playoffs going on are finished). Hockey's off, I can't really get into basketball, and the weather is really getting cold now. Nights are getting boring now.

Watched the Tonight Show. They had a segment on funny SAT essays. Here are a few I remember.
"That prostitution in the OJ Simpson trial was poor."
"The wheel was the greatest invention of the 20th century."
Referring to the Bible: "In the beginning the world was free from evil and sin. Then a woman named Pandora opened a mysterious box."
"Over-analization can cause stress."
"I need special attention for standard eyes tests."

And my favorite:
"Why would you skip graduation from high school? That's like having sex without climaxing or going to Denny's and not ordering cheese bread."

The Mets have just hired 2 more executives, Sandy Johnson (who's Omar Minaya's old boss) and Tony Bernazard. Nice last name. These guys are talent evaluators. Add these 2 to assistant GM's Jim Duquette and John Ricco and their 2 "super-scouts", Livesy and Goldis. What those 2 have ever done, I'll never know.
Sounds like too many inmates. Does Omar really have final say?

And Minaya still doesn't have a "full clear picture" on what direction this roster is taking. By the time they figure that out, they only free agent they'll be able to get is Mo Vaughn. Maybe they'll bring back Bill Pulsipher again...

At least we won't have Sammy "Prima Donna" Sosa, at least not yet. I read an article by Mike Lupica that he'd rather have Sammy Sosa in his currnt state than Mike Piazza in his curretn state. Now Piazza is about my favorite player ever and Sosa is on my list of my 10 least favorites. (I'll come up with that 1 later...) But he might not be totally off. When was the last time Piazza at least had a solid hitting streak? I mean he hit 20 homeruns this year. We've got 3 electric guys at the top of the order in Reyes Matsui and Wright. I don't think we have the bat we need to send these guys around the bases.

Mike Cameron? Well, if we're down by 5 runs in the 9th inning, then he'll probably hit a homerun.

Jason Phillips? 219 average=The definition of sophomore slump. Runs slower than Rosie O'Donnell in leg shackles.

Cliff Floyd? Even when he was healthy this year, how many big hits did he get? 63 RBI's in 396 at bats is not enough.

Richard Hidalgo? Even if the Mets can't get Beltran, Drew, Ordonez, or another big outfield bat, I don't think he's coming back. That said, I'd be OK with re-signing him if we can't get a marquee guy.

We have a lot of good bench guys in Eric Valent, Craig Brazell, Victor Diaz, Jeff Keppinger, Vance Wilson, Phillips, and Danny Garcia. But they're not guys who I would call reliable, at least not yet.

Now to Omar Minaya, Jim Duquette, Jeff Wilpon, Freddy Wilpon. GET US A BIG BAT!

No comments: