Saturday, April 02, 2005

Mets roster and musings

And another homerun by Luis Garcia today. But he's on his way to minor league camp so now we can have the immortal Marlon Anderson wearing the orange, blue, and black. Give me a break. Fortunately Mike Cameron's wrist should be fine.

Let's go to pitching. And I want to spend the bulk of this post on this topic. Why did we have to get rid of Matt Ginter? And don't tell me because Mr. Full Autonomy can't afford to swallow Felix Heredia's contract. We have two lefties on the bullpen already. That's enough. Ginter should have been our long reliever out of the pen and insurance for when the next starting pitcher goes down or becomes completely ineffective. But NOOOOOOO. We have to keep the guys we trade for. We've got to keep the guys that have contracts. Not a smart move.

Oh well. Roberto Hernandez, who I think was the only pitcher Leo Mazzone couldn't resurrect, has made the bullpen. And in a big surprise, Manny Aybar has also made the bullpen. He's quietly done a very solid job this spring. A 1.32 ERA in 14 appearances. Not bad. I would like to see Bell and Fortunato, but they have options that they can be sent to the minors, so I guess that's what had to be done.

I didn't think the bullpen would be that much of a problem. But with these guys, I'm now nervous. If Bell Fortunato, and Ginter were there along with DeJean, Koo, Matthews, and Looper, I think that would be the way to go. I would be much more confident with that group.

Oh, remember how excited I was about getting Wilson Valdez on waivers from the White Sox. Well, now we've lost him on waivers to Seattle. Forget a cup of coffee, he couldn't even get a packet of sugar in his 2 days with the Mets.

And New York, I'm coming in on Monday baby! Bagels, pizza, watch out!

No comments: