Friday, November 11, 2005

OK, back in the dungeon again

Back from 2 fine days in Madison, WI and I am ready to go. This is ward, as for once I'm typing when the sun is out. So let's see. What happened while I was away? Took a lot of time to reflect and sort a few personal things out. Got rejected from 2 more jobs, which I kind of expected. And Illinois could learn something from Wisconsin about tolls. I drove roughly the same amount of time in both states. I paid 4 tolls in Illinois and zero in the land of cheese!

I heard something about the baseball and steroid issue that I couldn't believe, which I have largely ignored. Congress is amazing to me, and not in a good way. The bill that Senator McCain (FROM! Arizona) came up with proposes a half a season suspension for a player's first offense, a full year for the second offense, and banishment for the third. And McCain and Senator Jim Bunning believe they can pass the bill within 2 weeks. But the catch is it may take a full year for the law to take effect! A full year! Give me a break. Congress is so much fluff on this type of thing. Don't talk all tough and then at the last minute say, "Oh, with all the loopholes and red tape, it'll take some time to pass." Come on now.

Great job by the Rangers knocking off a reeling Lightning squad. Moore with 2 goals. Marcel Hossa, Jason Ward, and Ville Niemenen (who by the way, has appeared in more Stanley Cup Finals games than any other current Ranger) scored as well. They only had 20 shots on goal and scored 5 times. Unfortunately, goaltender prospect Al Montoya is sidelined for 4-6 weeks due to a broken finger.

Now onto the Mets and their offseason. This is a hideous free agent market and I would look to trade. Maybe we could trade Matsui and Zambrano to Tampa Bay and get Kazmir back! And throw in B.J. Upton and Aubrey Huff too! They owe us! I would take B.J. Ryan or Billy Wagner in the bullpen in a minute, though they won't come cheap. I guess I would take any player named B.J. If Aaron Heilman (FROM! Notre Dame) isn't traded (and I think he will be, if the Mets make any kind of significant move), he should be the primary setup man. I like him, but I don't know if he's a full season closer, especially in a big spot. But I don't know if the Mets are in a position to throw the most money they'll spend this season at a close when their lineup is so incomplete.

So let's go to position players. I don't want Benji Molina. He's the only player in baseball who makes Jason Phillips look like Carl Lewis. I would go for Ramon Hernandez at catcher and try to get either Julio Lugo or Todd Walker to play second base. Or sign Tony Graffanino (which I'm hearing), and use him in a utility role. Rafael Furcal, as I've said before, is just using the Mets. There's no way he's playing second base. He's going to the Cubs.

Mike Jacobs should get a chance to play first base full time. And I know Omar "Mr. Full Autonomy" Minaya said in a published report that there is no way he will trade Mike Cameron unless something huge comes along. Hmm, Manny Ramirez? We'll see. I like Victor Diaz, but I think he makes too many bonehead plays. He's not reliable enough to be this team's starting right fielder. Then again, if he never plays for the Mets again, that 3-run homer he hit off Latroy Hawkins (who will not be on my fantasy baseball team this year!) in 2004 to knock the Cubs out of the playoffs will be good enough for me!

One more thing about baseball. They're doing this World Cup of Baseball with 16 nations next March. That sounds fine, for international marketing of baseball. Of course, wait until one pitcher blows his arm out and that'll be all she wrote. But from what I hear, Mike Piazza may play for Italy! What?! What's Piazza doing playing for Italy? He wasn't even born there. According to writer Tom Verducci, in this competition, "Each nation has its own set of rules." I just think that's funny. Anyway, I've got some pumpkin bars to cook for a Thanksgiving dinner tonight at the McElwee ranch. And I'm meeting with someone from Houghton Mifflin in human resources. I'm not too optimistic, but at least I have a meeting arranged. Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.