Saturday, November 19, 2005

Rambling along

I'm in the process of reading "The Death of WCW." It's a long, in-depth look at how a company that was rising and flying high, and had the possibility to become the biggest company in its particular industry, made bad decision after stupid decision after idiotic decision and went out of business 3 years after seemingly standing on top of the heap. It's an excellent lesson in how to treat people, how to handle business, economics, learning from your mistakes, and how to handle success, or how not to handle success. The irony of this is the publisher of this book is called ECW Press! If you know anything about the owner of WCW and the owner of one of their former archrival companies, ECW, and their respective feelings for each other, that's downright hilarious.

Man, you could read that and not know I was discussing pro wrestling!

Anyway, it's 9:45 on Saturday night, I'm at work, and I have absolutely nothing to do. With all other options out, I figured I'd stop in here. Drank rum and Coke for the first time last night. I really don't drink hard liquor, but I was in a pub in Huntley (which has basically nothing but the outlet malls) and I know one of the waitresses there so I stopped in to see her. They had some piano music going but it was mostly the old standards. I like old music, but the only 2 songs I recognized over 2 hours were Autumn Leaves and Unforgettable! I should have asked him to play some Elton John and the guy would have looked at me like "Who?!"

Anyway, the liquor thing. It was sort of a little celebration for myself after getting hired by Houghton Mifflin in Thursday. Actually, it's a temporary position, but it is full time work for 4-5 weeks. From what I understand, it will be a lot of data entry. And now, coupled with my newspaper job, I will be working 60 hours a week. So forgive me if I'm not blogging all that often. Who knows, maybe someone there will give me a reason to blog. Nah, that's highly unlikely. Nonetheless, I feel good about the opportunity and I don't intend to waste it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.