Saturday, November 26, 2005

Thanksgiving Friday night feels like Saturday night

A number of thoughts coming from the dungeon tonight.

This is Friday night, but man, it feels like Saturday. I'm convinced that tomorrow, I have to set my alarm for 7 a.m., go to church, play 3 hours of volleyball, go to Rookie's, hopefully watch the Giants win, go to Ecclesia, hang out with everyone at Culver's, and collapse into bed around midnight. Nope, this is all later on.

But tomorrow, I've got "Walk the Line," 25 bucks off at Maggiano's, and Willow Creek, which I hear will be a farewell service of sorts, for Bill and Lynne Hybels. And that's not even including work that night at the newspaper! Hopefully before I leave the church I'll buy one of those phenomenal Sunshine cookies with the almonds, walnuts, pecans, raisins, cinnamon chips, and dried cranberries! And no chocolate!

My church procured 40 tickets to the premiere of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." We actually have a chance to see it the day before it comes out, December 8. The last time we did this was when "The Passion" came out. Now I know almost nothing about this film, or any of the Narnia Chronicles. I only know CS Lewis, the author of the book. Hopefully, I'll be able to get one of those tickets by Sunday.

How did relief pitcher BJ Ryan get 5 years and 47 million dollars from anybody, let alone the Toronto Blue Jays. God knows Billy Wagner is going to ask for 11 million dollars per year and probably for 4 years. I was actually talking with a reporter at work about it over the phone and I told him the news. He just asked me "Who's BJ Ryan?" And this is coming from a White Sox fan, a team that plays the Orioles!

Carlos Delgado is a New York Met! For Mike Jacobs, Yusmeiro Petit, and a SIngle-A third baseman. That's a fine fine trade. I know this guy has baggage. Actually, it's oversized baggage. It's certainly bigger than the size you can carry on to an airplane. But we got the RBI guy that we were sorely lacking all last year. Now Carlos Beltran has got to hit second. Let's think about this lineup. Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright, and Floyd is as good a 1-5 that you can find in the National League. I'm not too sure how to arrange 3-4-5 at this point. I do prefer to alternate the lefty and righty hitters, if possible. There are still need on this team though. They still need a catcher (Ramon Hernandez), a utility man (Tony Graffanino), and 2 arms in the bullpen, including a closer (Too many names to mention).

I've already mentioned my Ryan-Wagner concerns. If they wound up signing catcher Ramon Hernandez (though Benji Molina wouldn't be the worst in the world, though he will get far more money than he deserves), closer Trevor Hoffman, and another setup guy like a Joey Eischen (who would give them the lefty they sorely need), that would work for me. Add those two arms to Aaron Heilman, Juan Padilla, Roberto Hernandez (if he's resigned), and Heath Bell and throw in a returning Bartolome Fortunato, Orber Moreno, or Tyler Yates, and you've got something good.

To football. Running back Ron Dayne made his first big play of his sorry NFL career on Thanksgiving afternoon. And amazingly, he helped his old team, the Giants! He ran 55 yards in overtime to the Dallas Cowboy 5 to basically drop the Cowboys into the Texas Stadium turf. He never made a play that big when he was actually wearing the blue!

The Jets still stink.

Will the Bears finally get exposed this week?

There's almost nothing funnier on TV than watching outtakes from classic sitcoms.

The snow came down today. And there was ice. And there was wind. And there were bad driving conditions. Now if you're reading this and you're in the northeast and been enjoying your 55-65 degree days, just wait. You will get a big white blanket covering from the sky before you know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.