Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dimitri's review

Well as I had written about few days ago, we just finished lunch. Anytime I can get 2 hours off in the middle of the day and be paid for it while eating is a damn good deal to me. We went to Dimitri's Mediterranean Grill, and I have to say the place delivered very well. It has a special atmosphere, from a small waterfall to their bar to their huge map of the Mediterranean Sea on the wall.

They have a wine list so exotic I proposed we should get half off if we could just pronounce the name correctly! Anyway, the meal was provided for us. We started off with some flaming cheese (OPAH!) called Saganaki. For those of you who have never had this, it's a Greek appetizer. After being fried, the cheese is usually covered with brandy extract, and set aflame at the table when served (typically with a shout of "Opa"). The cheese is then extinguished with the juice of a fresh-squeezed lemon, and sometimes served with pita bread. They also served pita with a couple of different spreads that I didin't go near, basically because they looked weird. I think this was the Egypt or Lebanon part of the meal. I did take a piece of feta cheese and a pastry of some type with some spinach inside. And the sourdough french bread was excellent (no surprise). And there was plenty of it in the basket for the taking.

Then they brought out a Greek salad with tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, olives, pepperocini, red and onion. Excellent. Then came the main course. We had chicken breasts with some lemon oil and Greek seasoning on them. As George Foreman would say, juicy! On the side some Fine garlic whipped potatoes, a blend of vegetables (tri-color bell peppers with a bit of green beans and onion), and an amazing pasta. It was a cheese-filled ravioli cooked with mushrooms, proscuitto, and pine nuts in a white wine cream sauce. One or two people later said they wanted to lick the bowl!

Then I got a look at the menu. I have to say the prices surprised me. A half roasted chicken. Now at a place like this, I would guesstimate it would be 20 bucks. It was only 15. And 3.50 more for a Greek salad. A Greek Salad at Panera is like 6 or 7 bucks! Nothing cost more than 20 bucks. And for an independent place with such varying cuisine, that impresses me. Rotisserie lamb for 15 bucks. Also, they have a mixed grill with a chicken breast, lamb chop, gyro, and some kind of pork for 20 bucks. And a seafood medley for 16. This is mussels, calamari, and shripmp steamed in a vermouth red sauce and sweet braised baby onions served over whipped potatoes. Oh yeah, babe. And for appetizers, they have open bluepoint oysters and shrimp oreganata.

And another thing I have to point out. With all the chain restaurants where I live, it's nice to have an independent place nearby that does something different. I have to say I would go back there again.

No comments: