Friday, October 26, 2007

Bite the apple

And in this case, I don't mean Honey Crisps. Seriously, if you live in the midwest and have never had a honey crisp apple, get off your computer (well, read the rest of this post), drive to the supermarket and get one. They are too good.

What's happening to my appetite? I haven't eaten in six hours, and tonight I get one salad at Portillo's, and I feel like I just got out of one of those competitive eating contests.

OK, now to the real apple. New York City tomorrow! Ben and Jack's for some steak and the Rangers-Maple Leafs at Madison Square Garden. And the Jets on Sunday. I may miss church this weekend, but watching the Jets live will be a like three-hour sermon on patience and suffering. But it is my first NFL game in 15 years. I can't wait!

I have 77 hours of vacation time left between now and December. So I'm taking half days on Wednesdays from Nov 14 on. I like a break in the middle of the week and I think this will be good.

Onto politics. And this can also be tied into taking the bite out of the apple. Is there a bigger disgrace right now than Rudy Giuliani? The former New York City mayor is maybe the biggest and most notable Yankees fan of this generation. Now he's running for President. This past week, he's speaking to a crowd in Boston and what does he say? Well, I'll give you the quotes. "I'm rooting for the Red Sox. I'm an American League fan, and I go with the American League team, maybe with the exception of the Mets."

It gets better. Check this out from his meeting in Lebanon, New Hampshire. "Somehow it makes me feel better if the team that was ahead of the Yankees wins the World Series because then I feel like, well, we're not that bad."

What a disgrace. I like Rudy, but he has taken a major dive in my eyes. Rooting for your team's biggest rival? Excuse me, but if you ever see me rooting for the Cubs, Patriots, or Devils, just have me committed. Because I would be selling out. Remember this. Rudy's been teasing Hillary Clinton about whether she's a Cubs fan or a Yankees fan and I agree, it is pathetic the way she wavers back and forth like a new seesaw. But the point is where does this leave Rudy now? Certainly without loyalty.

And I still miss Hogan.

No comments: