Monday, October 01, 2007

Top 10 Worst Sports Moments

I felt today would be a good time to write this list. My sports memories go back to around 1989. And in those 18 years, I've experienced a lot of good and a lot of bad. I'll write about the good moments later. But we'll start with the bad. We're going in chronological order here, not by most ageda to least ageda. That would take too much time and my brain would be racked from sorting out the heartache.

1) 1993 Knicks-Bulls ECF series: The Knicks won 60 games and had the East's best record. In the ECF, they beat Chicago in the first two games, capped of by John Stars' legendary dunk in Game 2. The Bulls won 3 and 4 in Chicago, setting Game 5 in the Garden. Down 1, with 10 seconds left, Charles Smith had about 8 shots at a layup, couldn't make one (and of course no foul was called, which was a mainstay of the 90's Bulls), and the Bulls stole the series in the next game.

2) 1995 Knicks-Pacers ECSF series: Michael Jordan was out of the league, clearing the way for the Knicks. They dropped the 1994 finals and the next year, faced rival Indiana in a Game 7. Down 2, Patrick Ewing drove the lane for a finger roll that rolled off the rim and out. Coach Pat Riley resigned the next day to be replaced by Don Nelson (groan). I knew right there the Knicks may not win it all. They haven't.

3) 1996 Masters: I've always been a huge Greg Norman fan and this was the worst of his numerous close, but no cigar performances in major golf tournaments. He blew a 6-shot lead on the final day and Nick Faldo took the title. The next year, someone named Tiger arrived on the scene at Augusta. The Shark never came so close again.

4) July 31, 1999-Mets vs. Cubs: Quite possibly the single worst day of my life. Read the 1999 section

5) October 19, 1999- NLCS Game 6-Mets vs. Braves: I had just started college by this time so I was surrounded by Boston fans. which worked for me, because I got to avoid the heat that comes with Yankees-Red Sox. But I remember that postseason well. Todd Pratt's series ending walkoff homer vs. Arizona. Robin Ventura's grand slam. And the drama of Game 6 in Atlanta. Al Leiter can't get out of the first inning. I thought it was over after Atlanta made it 5-0 after the first. But they came back on the strength of an injured Mike Piazza nailing a pinch-hit homer off John Smoltz and I don't remember when I tuned back in, but I know I was watching now. The Mets led 8-7 going to the eighth. John Franco allowed one run in the bottom half. Then, n a moment of glee, the Mets scored one run in the ninth off the infamous John Rocker. In comes Armando Benitez. three outs and we force Game 7 after losing the first 3 games. Ozzie Guillen singles home Andruw Jones, and I knew the Mets were not winning. Next inning. Kenny Rogers allows a double to Gerald Williams. Sac bunt by Bret Boone. Rogers intentionally walks the next Chipper Jones and Brian Jordan before walking home the series ending run on a 3-2 pitch. I fell to my knees in my dorm room in mere helplessness but was a little happy when the Yankees swept the Braves in the World Series.

6) 1998-2006 No Playoffs for Rangers: I have to compile the lousy run of the New York Rangers into a full period. There was no game that killed me, it was just the ineptitude that permeated that franchise. Whether it was hiring bad coaches like John Muckler, Ron Low, or Bryan Trottier. Neil Smith's free agent raid that included busts such as Theo Fleury, Valeri Kamensky, Bobby Holik, Stephane Quintal, Vladimir Malakhov, Igor Ulanov, and Dave Karpa. Bad trades for Eric Lindros, Petr Nedved, Luc Robitaille, Mike Dunham, Alexei Kovalev, and Pavel Bure (though injuries killed that one). Injuries to Dan Blackburn, Mike Richter, Adam Graves, and Brian Leetch. Thank God for the 2006 lockout that forced the team to operate under a salary cap and rely on young players instead of buying high priced talent. There is hope again.

7) January 5, 2003- NFC First round- Giants vs. 49ers: This was the beginning of the end of my rooting hard for the Giants. I was on vacation in Phoenix. I was hanging in the lobby, and I heard the Giants were up 24 points in the second half and I was excited. I went back to the room and flipped the TV on. Next thing I know, San Francisco wiped out a 24-point Giants lead in 20 minutes. Nonetheless, I was positive. I never really thought the Giants would lose. Then, with 2 seconds left, the Giants field goal attempt, which would have won it, was screwed b/c of a botched snap by Trey Junkin. Holder Matt Allen picks the ball up, the ball, hurls it downfield, and the refs later admitted there should have been pass interference called on the play. No call, Niners win. I can't explain what it was that changed me, but with the excitement I felt from the Jets, they became my number one team right around this time.

8) January 15, 2005- AFC Semifinal- Jets vs. Steelers: I was pumped for this game after we had upset San Diego in the first round. And here's the story. I still think we could have beaten New England in the AFC title game that year.

9) October 19, 2006- NLCS Game 7- Mets vs. Cardinals: This will sting for years. And after what happened Sunday, it hurts even more. Endy Chavez makes the great catch. We can't score off Jeff Suppan. Molina hits the home run. Two runners on in the ninth, called strike 3. Every negative emotion known to man fills me,

10) The collapse of 2007: I've written about it enough already. It is absolutely mind-blowing. Bill Simmons wrote in his ESPN column today. "Mets fans, we feel for you." When that's coming from a Red Sox fan, you know it was bad.

Honorable Mention:
1989 British Open: My favorite golfer loses a playoff in a major to my least favorite.

1997 Knicks-Heat Eastern Conference Semifinal: The Game 5 brawl that caused five Knicks to get suspended, costing them a chance at a conference final against the Bulls. I still think that was the Knicks best team of that era.

1997-2000 John Muckler: The worst head coach I have ever seen. Over Art Howe, over Don Nelson. He mistreated numerous young Rangers players, spoke arrogantly, and inspired no one.

1999 Jets vs Patriots: Everyone thought was the Jets year to finally win the Super Bowl. I watched that game in Boston and 10 minutes in, QB Vinny Testaverde tears his Achilles. We had no decent backup QB, lost that game, and finished the year 8-8. Bill Parcells resigned as coach after that year, and Belichick immediately pussied his way out and went to New England, taking his video cameras with him.

2001 Mets fall short: After reaching the World Series the last year, the Mets got off to a lousy start. But after 9/11, they rallied to get back in the NL East race only to drop 2 of 3 to Atlanta in mid-September. The key game was on Sep 29. Up 5-1 in the ninth, they allowed seven runs, capped off by Brian Jordan's grand slam off Franco, after Benitez, to no one's surprise, choked again in a big spot.

Sep 22, 2003: Knicks hire Isiah Thomas as President/GM. I didn't think it could get worse after Scott Layden's reign of terror. It has gotten worse and there is no end in sight. Oh that's right, he and the Garden are also on trial for a discrimination/sexual harassment lawsuit.

No comments: