Saturday, January 15, 2005

You know what I'm starting off with.

In this blog, I've tried to talk about a plethora of topics, to keep it fresh. I've tried not to be angry or show much emotion. Well to hell with that tonight.

The Jets lose a killer playoff game to Pittsburgh in OT. Season over. RIP. Dead. Finished. Over. Typical. This is why I despise the thought of a moral victory. I don't want to read anyone's comments saying, "They had a great season. Oh they'll be great next year. They battled a team they had no business beating. If it wasn't for this guy, they'd have won." You know what, right now, stick it where the sun don't shine. A loyal Jet fan is not getting over this until next September. This is why this team will never reach a Super Bowl. They invent ways to lose and break your heart.

I was at Rookie's watching the game and I left when the game was 17-17 with 2 minutes left. When Doug Brien missed the field goal which would have given the Jets the lead, I left. I figured Pitt would drive down with Bettis, kick a FG and win. I drove to work and listened to the radio broadcast on the way. First play, interception! I couldn't believe it. Unreal. I'm screaming out the windows (when I was stopped at a light that is) and getting all excited. I thought "Holy Cow, we're going to shut all the experts up and go to the AFC title game!" And the Jets are driving down the field to kick a field goal, because I know there's no way they're throwing a pass into the end zone. And as I'm pulling into the parking lot of the Daily Herald, Brien is lining up to kick the 47 yard game-winning field goal with 4 seconds left. And as excited as I was, I suddenly stopped myself. I said "Wait, wait, it's too easy if it happens this way. It can't be they're winning here. The Jets never win this easy." Sure enough, he hooks it wide left and the game goes to OT. The Jets get the ball to start, can't get far enough to score. Pitt makes a few big pass plays and just like that they're on the Jet 22. And you knew there was NO WAY Jeff Reed was missing his field goal. Game over, 20-17 we lose. A shocking upset right there in front of us, and we give it right away. So tonight I'm drinking my Kool-Aid. With a shot of arsenic.

I'm going to refer to a post I wrote on what I felt the Jets had to do to win. You tell me how it turned out.

1) "If we trail by 13 at any point, we're not rallying in the 2nd half." We trailed by 10 in the 1st quarter and rallied. We came back. Mission accomplished.

2) "The Jets need to get a decent lead, especially going into the 4th quarter." They led 17-10 going into the 4th. Mission accomplished.

3) "A defensive score would be huge as this offense has not got into the red zone of Pittsburgh yet this season." actually, they never got into the red zone in this game either! At least they got a defensive score AND a special teams score. Mission accomplished.

And they lost the damn thing on 2 missed field goals. Now Doug Brien, goodbye and good riddance. But he should have been in better position to kick. As soon as the Jets got around the 35 yard line, they got conservative with runs(this happened twice) and Brien had two 46-yard attempts that he missed both times. If the Jets stay aggressive and throw just a slant pass or something, that can equal kicking a field goal from 5 or 6 yards closer. So Terry Bradway, cut Brien. Fire "I can't" Hackett. And I like Coach Herman Edwards, but I wonder if he will ever be a championship coach. I don't know. I just don't.

And then you put on top of that the disaster known as the New York Knicks. And to think I almost got tickets to watch that disgusting, despicable finish. If I was actually there, I don't think I would have gotten out of that building not wearing handcuffs. And the car ride home would have been dead quiet. The Knicks lose by 2 in Chicago after leading almost the whole game. And I have to have all these stupid Bull fans around me acting like their team won its 7th championship. At least God gave me a break that I didn't have to watch that putrid performance in person Saturday afternon. And Isaiah, three words for you. FIRE LENNY WILKENS!

So I am one angry, miserable, and pissed off Knick and Jet fan tonight. Just the same old treadmill I've been running on for 14 years now.

No comments: