Thursday, January 06, 2005

Jobs Jobs Jobs, Fantasy stuff

I don't really believe in resolutions except resolving not to make them. But a new job by my 24th birthday would be a good place to start. On that note, I sent out e-mails and resumes to the three "local" minor-league baseball teams in suburban Chicago. I also applied for two open positions with the Cubs and White Sox. The odds are obviously slim, but at least I got the info out there. For me, that's half the battle.

The Mets traded backup catcher and popular clubhouse man Vance Wilson to Detroit for some guy named Anderson Hernandez. Wow, is this ever exciting me! This will make the Mets a powerhouse again, trading a solid backup catcher to get Anderson Hernandez? This guy played in Lakeland, Florida (a place I got rejected from when I applied for an internship by the way) last year and hit .283 in A and AA, has some speed, and is apparently a very good defensive player. Why do we need another middle infielder in the system? Couldn't we have traded Wilson and upgraded the bullpen instead? Once again Mr. Full Autonomy proves it's all about getting as many minority players as possible. That's evidently how you build a winner. So I guess Jason Phillips will be the backup catcher. I think he's too good a hitter not to rebound from last year's horrendous outing. Plus we have some decent catcher prospects like Mike Jacobs, last year's Minor League Player of the Year.

My playoff picks for this week: St. Louis over Seattle, Jets over San Diego (I know they'll probably lose, but do you really think I'm picking against my team?), Indianapolis over Denver and Green Bay over Minnesota.

I'm also in a Football Fantasy Playoff Challenege on NFL.com. The winner gets $1,000. You pick a certain number of players each week and hope for the best, just like I did in Yahoo this season. Here are my picks for this week.

QB- Marc Bulger (62) (After he torched my team last week, he will annihilate a porous Seattle defense)
RB- Shaun Alexander (67) (He has a chip on his shoulder after losing the rushing title to Curtis Martin by 1 yard. He's averaged 151 yards per game in his last 3 games against St. Louis).
RB- Ahman Green (42) (As long as he doesn't fumble, he will do just fine on the FROZEN TUNDRA!)
WR- Justin McCareins (23) (If I had to see one Jet receiver score, I'm betting on this guy. He and Pennington are getting more in synch. I'm going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling. Plus, he's a Northern Illinois Huskie.)
WR- Rod Smith (35) (I was going to take Santana Moss as my first receiver, but I took a cheaper Justin so I could take Jake Plummer's top target. Between playing in a dome, Jake Plummer probably having to throw long after Denver falls behind early, and Indy not playing greatI think it's a lock he'll get at least one touchdown.)
TE- Jermaine Wiggins (21) (I had him on my fantasy team this year and only Antonio Gates rates higher at this position. I am not about to take a Charger!)
K- Jeff Wilkins (22) (Another Ram. St. Louis will score a lot and he is one of the cheapest kickers available).
DEF- JETS (28) (They'll be ready. Hopefully Abraham will be able to do something.) And that puts me right at 300 points total, the limit I have to spend.

Have you ever noticed that the word embargo spelled backward is o grab me?

No comments: