Thursday, January 13, 2005

And the hits just keep on coming!

The signs just keep getting more and more encouraging for the Jets as they travel to Pittsburgh to take on the Steelers this Saturday in the AFC Divisional playoffs. John Abraham officially downgraded to questionable and according to the Star-Ledger is O-U-T!!! The Jet cornerbacks are talking trash about Pitt WR Plaxico Burress, who missed the least game and is healthy now. Our backup QB misses practice to be with his ailing mother and probably won't be back for the game. And the biggest kick in the pants of all. Chad Pennington is suffering from the flu and missed practice! In the team's ONLY full contact scrimmage this week, the #3 QB is playing with the first string team.

I'm trying to be the optimist though I always come back as the realist. I always felt the Jets have a better shot of beating Pittsburgh than New England. Now the odds are reducing by the day, by the hour. And to think I'm switching shifts at work to watch this thing...

It would be nice to write a hockey piece in here, but I think that's only coming if I start watching the American Hockey League. It's not happening soon.

My alma mater schools are stinking their campuses up right now. Wheaton Academy guys basketball couldn't play effective defense if there was no offense on the other side of them. The girls team has got some wins against bad teams, but do nothing against the good ones. And even against the bad teams, they make more turnovers than a bakery. And Gordon is just hideous. Of course the guys lose to Wheaton which was expected, and the women lose to North Park in OT, one of my least favorite teams outside of the CCC. Both teams lost to Endicott and Salem State. Just a brutal sports season. At least there's WA girls soccer trying to derfens their state championship later this spring. Not much else to hang my hat on.

CPK is having our holiday party in a week and a half at North Beach in Downers Grove. They've got a bar, bowling, darts, and all that stuff. They have sand volleyball where they painted the surrounding walls with ocean scenes (actually looks like a cartoon strip). Then they turn the lights up real hot so if you're drunk enough, you might actually think you're playing in the sun.

The last time I was there, I was there till about 1 in the morning. Everyone I was with was drunk so I went off and did my own thing. I started chatting with some people and I talk with this girl around 25 or 30 years old, and I find out she's got 2 kids at home. Now I didn't mind the 2 kids, but I'm thinking to myself "What are you doing in a club at 1 in the morning on a Sunday night?! What are you doing here? Is it your birthday? Did you get a raise?"

The weather's getting worse. Heavy rain + cold + snow. Hopefully not much wind. Gotta love the Midwest.

Note of the week: Rookie's Sports Bar in St. Charles. $1.99 cheeseburgers and homemade potato chips. Good stuff.

No comments: