Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Jets-Chargers

Well, if the Jets had to be paired with any of the top 4 teams in the AFC, I'm glad it's this one. I can't see them beating Indianapolis in the RCA Dome and let's not even go into NE and Pitt. If the Jets had something going, I'd really be optimistic. But considering the state of this team now, that they are playing their absolute worst football of the season, I can't see them beating anybody right now.

The Jets offense right now is all about Curtis Martin. Chad's shoulder reminds me of Cardinals pitcher Rick Ankiel in the playoffs. If the Jets can't run, they lose. Even if they do, Paul "I can't" Hackett will get away from it. And the Chargers run defense is substantially improved since they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. Their defensive coordinater Wade Phillips (who looks like a politician suffering from a hangover) should plan to put 8 men focusing on Curtis and dare Chad to beat them. Santana Moss need to step up here. He hasn't done much this year and he can give the Jets a big edge.

Even if the defense get turnovers, the Jets aren't guaranteed anything. They got 3 turnovers to St. Louis' zero last week and still lost. I don't know how much help John Abraham's return will give. He won't be the same and Bryan Thomas has played respectably. I think the secondary will be better than they were against St. Louis, basically because they can't do much worse.

So I do think the Jets have a shot, but I don't think it's likely. 2 years ago, they enetered as the most dangerous team in the AFC playoffs and they trounced Indy at home in the first round (a game I still have on tape). This team is limping in and that's not enough. One thing for sure: they cannot fall behind and play catchup. With Chad playing the way he is, the Jets are not winning a shootout. If they can hold San Diego to 20 or fewer, I think they'll win. More to come later, including my picks and my fantasy team for the playoffs.

No comments: