Wednesday, February 13, 2013

All I can think about is my stomach


So heading into the contest, I drank 1 1/4 gallons of water and a protein shake with egg whites, apple juice, and carrots. That was all between 11 and 12 that day; I wanted to give my body a good six hours to recover. I also worked out on the stationary bike and Nautilis equipment about three hours prior. I wore my black Adidas sweatpants and my blue and orange Mets mesh pullover. 

Mom was gracious enough to drive me to Downers Grove and we arrived at Fuddrucker's around 5:45.  As we walked in, I saw a model five pounder sitting on a table. My first thought was it didn't look too huge but it was going to be really thick. Five pounds of beef, two pounds of bun. I placed the order, Mom got a buffalo burger with bleu cheese. For my beverage, I went with lemonade and water. 

After about 15 minutes, my buzzer went off; the burgers were ready. I picked them up and they told me I had five minutes to top it. I added sides of lettuce, pickles, jalapenos, and salsa. I also filled cups of honey mustard and BBQ sauce. I cut the burger into four pieces, so each piece weighed about 1 3/4 pounds, including the bun. The told me to start at 6:20, but my clock said 6:03. I was not about to wait 15 minutes, so I started. At 6:08, they announced I could start. So basically, I had five extra minutes, but I really didn't think that was going to make a difference. I knew I was already going to be full after 55 minutes anyway! 

So I started at 6:03. I knew I would have to eat fast to have a fair chance. I finished the first quarter in four and a half minutes. But that was the smallest piece. I figured I'd better wipe out the largest piece next. I topped it with Heinz BBQ sauce, which tastes horrible. I snuck in some pickles and jalapenos to mix up the flavors too. My goal was to be halfway done in 20 minutes and by the time I finished that piece, 25 minutes had passed. I was feeling okay, but the burger was so thick, I knew it wouldn't be easy.  

Around the thirty minute mark, I was feeling really full. I knew I was not going to finish. I got a cup of ginger ale, hoping it would settle my stomach. At least ten people came by to encourage me, which I really appreciated. I stayed positive and upbeat, but my stomach was feeling anything but. My goal became to finish 3/4 of the burger. 

It wouldn't work out though. By the time 40 minutes had passed, I was starting to feel really nauseous. I was using more lemonade to moisten the food. I kept nibbling away, but I could feel my stomach really starting to pound. I knew I had to stop for the sake of my health. At the 50 minute mark, I was done. I finished maybe 3/4 of my third piece, so I probably ate about five pounds of food in 50 minutes. I went straight to the bathroom...

So we went home and I crashed in the backseat. I needed to lay down. I changed clothes, went straight tot he couch in basement, and watched the Rangers vs Bruins game. My stomach felt like a sumo wrestler was tap dancing on it. I headed upstairs around 11:30 and it must have taken me two hours to fall asleep. But I woke up at 8:30 and I feel fine. Think I'll pass on the gym though...

So what did I learn? Five pounds of food may be my limit. Heinz BBQ sauce stinks. And I had fun with it. I don't know if I'll try to do something like this again, but I'm glad I gave it a shot.

No comments: