Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Get Over It

I am truly happy for my friends MC and MM who got engaged to be married this past Valentine's Day. I knew they were co-leading a small group and had been friends for a long time, but I had no idea that they were ever dating. So when the news broke on Facebook around 4:30 in the afternoon, I first thought it was a rib! But it's a real story and I think it's great that they have each other.

So then, I saw them two days after the announcement and congratulated them. After the Singles Connect event that night, a lot of us went roller skating. At one point, I nearly crashed into them, but we kept each other up. We shared a few laughs over it while we skated around the rink. As the night progressed, I played air hockey against MM and I chatted with MC on a couple of occasions. Then on Sunday, I saw them again at church and we all had a great time celebrating the 1-year anniversary of the founding of Section 305 at Willow Creek.

Then came Monday night. I'm on Facebook, which apparently is where all news breaks along with Twitter, and I'm checking my upcoming events to find out details about the Winter Jam concert at the Sears Center this Saturday night. A couple of people from church are going, so I thought I'd tag along. Then I see some comments that I never expected to see. From Jason.
Change of plans. Going to Mxxx and Mxxx' engagement party.
Then I saw one from Fil.
Yeah, me too.
It was at that point that I realized I never got invited to an engagement party that I didn't know was going on.  I've documented my issue with MM from last December when she did not invite me to her New Year's Eve party because of what happened to her friend Clarissa's knee on Memorial Day. They held me responsible for the ACL injury, even though it was Luke who injured her and not me. During the Christmas party two weeks prior, we agreed that I would not attend this particular party but then it would be okay for me to attend future events that she would be hosting. Well, she has proven herself to be a damn liar. Just like New Year's Eve, I was not included on the invite for this party either.

There is no good reason for me to be disinvited from the party when guys like Jason and Fil are allowed to attend. I like both those guys, but I'm just as big a part of the community as they are. It's like MM and CM are playing this evil game of revenge where they try to screw with my social life just to get revenge on me for something that they think I did.

However, I like MC and I consider him a friend. I am planning to call him and get some answers, because I believe I am entitled to them. The truth is I don't even want to attend the party if I'm not wanted. But I'm disgusted that these people, believing Christians, choose to hold onto the bitterness and anger from this one single incident and exclude me. And so I ask myself why would I want to be a part of that kind of community? I can't think of a good reason.

No comments: