Monday, February 14, 2005

Cold in the basement...

Yes it is very cold. Have your feet ever been so cold you though to yourself, "Man, if i cut my feet off at the ankles, I'd probably feel a lot warmer?" Yep, that's what it's like down here in the dungeon, as I call my basement. It's my indulgence spot. Internet, ECW DVD's on my computer, all my videos (Classic games, plenty of Whose Line, and some Borge, Cosby, Bee Gees and Jim Croce concerts), and the spot I go on late night snack binges and drink a little beer, yes, just a little.

My latest combo: 2 Superpretzels and Lay's kettle cooked BBQ potato chips. I'm not a big salt guy, so I dip the pretzels in spicy brown mustard. It's not my favorite combination, but there are 2 reasons. One, a hot pretzel by itself is to me like eating a plain piece of toast. It needs some kind of flavor. And two, it reminds me of Ranger hockey games at Madison Square Garden. Dad gets the pretzel with mustard and I'd have a pretzel of my own or one of those fabulous MSG hot dogs. No matter the outcome of the game, those are good memories. Heck, hockey was a good memory. It's not the same between the over-expanded league and the lockout. I wish they could contract to 24 or 26 teams. I love Carolina and I'll always love their run to the Finals a few years ago, but they probably need to go. Nashville, Pittsburgh, and maybe Buffalo can probably go too.

My thoughts on the lockout are these. The season will be over very soon. It's been over for a while but it will become official this week. I'm fine with no season this year, I've dealt with it, it would have been half-over by now anyway. And with the performances, if you want to call them performances of the last 7 years of the Broadway Buffoons, life is less aggravating. I just hope there's a partial season next year. And the game itself needs to change. Contraction, no ties and an OT shootout, no goalies playing the puck outside of the crease can be the start of some immediate changes.

One other thing before we move on to some fun stuff. I need to get this off my chest. I just can't stand people who say hockey is too violent compared to other sports. They say the fights and grabbing are too much. Come on. How about the punching in boxing? How about the grabbing in football?

OK, enough of that. Let's get personal.

I met a girl who has live much of her life in Australia. I'd write her name, but it's a name I've never heard of so I won't try. She goes to Wheaton and is a big traveller. Not bad. Oh yeah, I got a dorm number AND a cell number and this was only our second conversation. What can I say, I've always had a thing for Aussie culture. Outback, Keith Urban music, the Aussie hair gel. Man, if she tells me she likes Greg Norman, we may have a keeper... Git-er-doooone!

Another week is beginning and a lot of work is coming up. I think I'll eat something really hot and spicy and full of garlic and onions in honor of Valentine's Day. Maybe I will get one of those heart-shaped pepperoni pizzas from Papa Murphy's. Yep, you read it. I really love it. Who gives a crap about chocolates and roses when you can give a heart-shaped pizza for Valentine's Day.

Anyway, probably working hard right about now would serve me well. I just like to stay as occupied as I can. I just hate sitting around with nothing to do. I need to be productive in some way. Well I have to get up in a few hours for work so I'll climb the four flights of stairs and slide under the electric blanket.

Quick joke from Larry the Cable Guy. "I celebrated my 2-year wedding anniversary. I wanted to have sex, she wanted to eat at Outback, my mother wanted us to go to church and renew our vows. So we compromised. "We had sex out back of the church."

Peace joy and love.

No comments: